John Corbet

I found this rock today in my favorite spot in southeast Missouri. I guess they are Smithville variety.

There are several fossils in this rock. That spiral looking one is 4" long!

20201102_165352.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I'll have to research how to prep them. I just washed it off with water and a toothbrush. I have a bunch more that need it too

2 minutes ago, John Corbet said:

I'll have to research how to prep them. I just washed it off with water and a toothbrush. I have a bunch more that need it too

Just peruse our section on preparation to get some ideas.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I just don't want to mess them up. They are very precious to me. It is something special to find something no one on earth has seen b4. The remnants of something living millions of years ago! It is already amazing that its picture if u will has survived this long and I don't want to be the creature to that ruins it. I have thought about cleaning it and maybe putting something on it to preserve it. All this talk of cleaning away the matrix and picks and chisels and sand blasting scares me.

I have had some crumble when I was brushing them off.

Right now if u notice in that pic the tip is still on that snail but is exposed and I want to be careful  not to break it off.

Also there are other snails in the rock and that is kind of neat too. There are at least 3 different types that all died together I couldn't separate them now! Lol

2 minutes ago, John Corbet said:

I just don't want to mess them up. They are very precious to me. It is something special to find something no one on earth has seen b4. The remnants of something living millions of years ago! It is already amazing that its picture if u will has survived this long and I don't want to be the creature to that ruins it. I have thought about cleaning it and maybe putting something on it to preserve it. All this talk of cleaning away the matrix and picks and chisels and sand blasting scares me.

Right now if u notice in that pic the tip is still on that snail but is exposed and I want to be careful  not to break it off.

Also there are other snails in the rock and that is kind of neat too. There are at least 3 different types that all died together I couldn't separate them now! Lol

If you're satisfied than don't touch it. :)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

3 hours ago, John Corbet said:

Interesting snail... Reminiscent of a Turritellid but I assume it is Paleozoic?

I think it could be improved with some preparation but you are wise to be cautious. If you want to get into prepping, start with some lesser specimens until you get the hang of it (not that I have any experience myself, but this is the advice you'll get). Otherwise there are some good preppers here on the Forum that might be willing to do it for you.

9 hours ago, John Corbet said:

I share your enthusiasm and appreciate your caution. I would go along with Wrangellian's advice.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Just peruse our section on preparation to get some ideas.

Very appealing gastropod!  A cheap dremel engraver (under$20) seems like it would work nicely to remove some of the matrix hiding the specimen.

10 hours ago, John Corbet said:

I have a dremel and some nice diamond bits

What I was suggesting is a dremel ENGRAVER. It is more delicate than a dremel with diamond bits.

• Dremel 290-01 120-Volt Engraver Rotary Tool with Stencils - Crafting Machine Perfect for DIY Personalizing and Engraving Leather, Metal, Glass, and Wood
Roll over image to zoom in
  • 41XFVZYOxEL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 417xiarrAmL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51k%2BgyArNZL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51%2BPflKnWvL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51RATOVHtoL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 41KLsfxX-OL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51i-Nxf7J2L._AC_US40_.jpg

Dremel 290-01 120-Volt Engraver Rotary Tool with Stencils - Crafting Machine Perfect for DIY Personalizing and Engraving Leather, Metal, Glass, and Wood

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 21:56, minnbuckeye said:

Lo que estaba sugiriendo es una dremel ENGRAVER. Es más delicado que un dremel con diamantes.

• Dremel 290-01 Herramienta rotativa de grabado de 120 voltios con plantillas - Máquina de elaboración perfecta para personalizar y grabar cuero, metal, vidrio y madera con bricolaje
Pasa el cursor sobre la imagen para acercarla
  • 41XFVZYOxEL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 417xiarrAmL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51k% 2BgyArNZL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51% 2BPflKnWvL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51RATOVHtoL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 41KLsfxX-OL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51i-Nxf7J2L._AC_US40_.jpg

Dremel 290-01 Herramienta rotativa de grabado de 120 voltios con plantillas - Máquina de elaboración perfecta para personalizar y grabar cuero, metal, vidrio y madera con bricolaje

This machine comes with the tips I guess, right?  Are these tips suitable for cleaning fossils or do you have to buy special ones?

I understand some people alter or replace the tips. I myself have gotten by with the tip that comes with it.

• 2 months later...

I bought tips like this from Amazon: 

51bwBsRePsL._AC_SL1440_.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me