Is this a real mammoth tooth?

Ronny

Hi all,

Someone offered me to sell his what he called to be a baby mammoth tooth. I have been looking around but I am a bit suspicious about the root. I would appreciate if you would kindly put some expertise on it before I buy it. Unfortunately the origin is not known, but it is probably found by fisherman in the North Sea.

Thanks for helping me out!

Ronny

$_85.JPG

$_851.JPG

$_852.JPG

$_853.JPG

$_864.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Mammoth tooth from the North Sea. Someone went through a lot to try and keep that tooth together. Teeth/fossils found in the North Sea will fall apart as the salt crystals inside every pore and space start to expand when the specimen dries out. Its real. 

• I found this Informative 2

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Like Mikey said, it's real.

(On a side note, please remember that per our guidelines, we do not offer valuations, appraisals, pricing, etc. on TFF;) )

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for helping me out, guys! Could it be a 'baby' mammoth with that size? And is there something that makes you see that maybe it is not a North Sea find?

And @JohnJ: sorry to have violated the rules of the forum already, this was not my intention. I will read the rules again and avoid violating them in the future!

Edited by Ronny

53 minutes ago, Ronny said:

Thanks for helping me out, guys! Could it be a 'baby' mammoth with that size? And is there something that makes you see that maybe it is not a North Sea find?

if you look around you’ll see much bigger mammoth teeth on sale, so the size probably does correspond with a juvenile mammoth. Elephants are born with teeth so I guess mammoths probably were too.

You will find a lot of North Sea mammoth bones and teeth on sale so the provenance is probably correct.

And while there is no discussion here on value, I personally would wait for a better specimen to come along before making a purchase 

Since you live in Belgium, I'd keep an eye on the local Dutch and Belgian marketplace sites. You'll occasionally see very nice quality specimens offered for relatively affordable prices there (or, at least, they did years back, when I bought mine - since sold). Send seeing it will end up being either national mail or shipment within the Benelux, Id also say you needn't worry too much about shipping cost (which might otherwise be high for such heavy fossils).

You might also ask around on the Dutch fossil forum, as I know someone there was offering freshly dredged North Sea material a while back.

PM me if you need more specifics...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks again for all the replies! The reason I started wondering is the fact that, on looking at mammoth teeth roots you never see one large root, but always much smaller roots in quite a large number:

5fa1ca3999c0f_fossil-month-05-2018-mammoth-tooth3_elephanttoothdifferences.jpg.b3185712dba090ed0ec3efdae60cbda7.jpg

toothroots.jpg.6e1a320e370e7ce167f0fe8f63c3c9dd.jpg

That is what did me wonder if it was a genuine mammoth tooth. Anyway, I am already learning a lot here now!

2 hours ago, Ronny said:

Could it be a 'baby' mammoth with that size?

I think they had multiple sets of deciduous teeth. 

3 hours ago, Ronny said:

I will read the rules again and avoid violating them in the future!

@Ronny  Thanks, and no worries.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

6 hours ago, Ronny said:

Could it be a 'baby' mammoth with that size?

Hmmm,  Probably not a baby mammoth,  more like a juvenile...

image.thumb.jpeg.f793c53af439b90a1338666ebbe6a3c7.jpeg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"