Need an ID on Central Texas fish skeleton & Likely fossilized skin

Jared C

Hello all, I'm 19 and brand new to the site, I'm hoping this is where I can get a potential ID on some very interesting fossils a family friend of ours supposedly found 10 minutes east of Austin on their private property.

The first of which is a mostly complete fossilized fish - according to this friend of ours, it was found close to a river, where limestone slabs stick out from the eroded bank. As far as  I understand, this was from an old bank line rather than the current one. He pulled on of the slabs out from said bank, and on it (after appropriate cleaning), a fish skeleton was found as shown below:

fish.jpg.f5b66f6264056ce51dc459792112b72d.jpg

An ID to the genus at least would be very appreciated.

Secondly, and perhaps more interesting, is a fossilized piece of skin (potentially)

I know fewer details about this particular find, but he does say that he found it on the same property. Some other fossil finds he has made (he's not a vigorous hobbyist, he doesn't actively search for these, just passively and on occasion for fun) include some bivalves and the other typical gastropods of the area. Of the photos, he included a picture of a large vertebrae, which I believe may be a mosasaur vert - a find sometimes made in central texas. Anyway, the skin he found is below: skin.jpg.402ddaaaf3c9e24b944b45a31823a6c4.jpg

I don't have much context for size, my guess is that it's probably about 2 inches (5 cm) in length.

Thanks for any ID guesses! I hope I uploaded this in the correct area!

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

I think your friend is pulling your leg. The fish is from the Green River Formation of Wyoming. The other item looks like part of an echinoid.

• I found this Informative 2

20 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I think your friend is pulling your leg. The fish is from the Green River Formation of Wyoming. The other item looks like part of an echinoid.

I agree with both IDs' on this one. I also wouldn't be willing to say he found that artifact in picture 2 either - credibility is kind of a 'big thing' here. :)

I agree, the fish is Diplomystus dentatus from the Green River Formation in Wyoming.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The fish is definitely a Diplomystus dentatus from the Green River Formation. I have a couple in my collection. That’s not a bad looking one. :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you all! I'm very new to the hobby, jumping into into it about 3 days ago! I know nothing yet! I'll tell my stepbrother, he's the one who knows the guy

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

11 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It may be clear what kind of fish this is, but I think where it's from should wait until it can be proven. Do we have any evidence that conclusively eliminates the possibility it came from where it is claimed to have been yet ? The Permian isn't that far stratigraphically from the Eocene and isn't it commonly exposed in Texas ? And has it been determined that diplos definitely evolved in the Eocene ? 

39 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It may be clear what kind of fish this is, but I think where it's from should wait until it can be proven. Do we have any evidence that conclusively eliminates the possibility it came from where it is claimed to have been yet ? The Permian isn't that far stratigraphically from the Eocene and isn't it commonly exposed in Texas ? And has it been determined that diplos definitely evolved in the Eocene ? 

The matrix of this fossil is typical Green River Formation, formed as fine layers on an anoxic lake bed. I think most of the fossiliferous Eocene in Texas is marine that wouldn’t form this type of laminated rock. Most likely scenario is this was a purchased fossil from one of the GRF quarries in Wyoming.

15 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Most likely scenario is this was a purchased fossil from one of the GRF quarries in Wyoming.

I agree.

My point is more philosophical. You don't label someone as a liar without giving them a fair hearing.

Yes. It is a sore spot from my past. 

46 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I agree.

My point is more philosophical. You don't label someone as a liar without giving them a fair hearing.

Yes. It is a sore spot from my past. 

Understandable. 

I personally, have never heard of Diplomystus being found in Texas.  :unsure: 

As Al said, typical Green River matrix. 

While Diplomystus birdi  is known from the Cretaceous, it has only been found in Lebanon. 

But D. birdi  is quite different looking from D. dentatus, which the above posted fish is, without question.

I think it is more than certain that the fish fossil isn't from Texas, originally. 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me