Winter Hobby

I'm told the middle fish is a Knightia.  Any ideas about what the other 2 are?  

Also, When I'm done preparing this, how can I darken the fossils and seal it up?  It's in oil-shale.

Thanks!

Knightia.thumb.jpg.036ba3ba6556af9dcf852cea8a3be0a4.jpg

The bottom one looks like a young diplomystus to me. The anal fin and dorsal fin match also the tell tale mouth. Not sure about the top though the angle isn't too good but knightia is a possibility

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I agree - Two Knightia eocaena, and one Diplomystus dentatus.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I see some beautiful fossils on this forum that look very rich and dark.  They are in oil-shale but don't look like the ones I'm cleaning.  Is there something I should be using to get that deep brown shade on the carbon?

The color depends on formation/layer, preservation and prep. Many of the beautiful fish you see on this forum come from the 18 inch layer which is known for producing some of the best fish. Lots of those fish are also meticulously prepped with air tools. 

I don't know what layer your fish are from, but my best advice is to do some research on the various layers and their preservation, and take your time prepping. If you apply paraloid B-72 (dissolved in acetone at a 1 to 50 ratio) to the fish as you uncover it, you can prevent scales from flaking off during prep.

11 hours ago, Winter Hobby said:

I see some beautiful fossils on this forum that look very rich and dark.  They are in oil-shale but don't look like the ones I'm cleaning.  Is there something I should be using to get that deep brown shade on the carbon?

The fish you are working on are preserved in a more advanced state of decomposition than the specimens you mention. The solid brown presentation is a result of carbon stain from soft tissue and often preserved scales. Your fossils have lost those elements and are more skeletonized. As suggested, a thin coating of paraloid will somewhat darken (and preserve) what is visible; but will not bring out any "hidden" color. 

It's a great prep effort and is resulting in a nice multi-species plate. Good luck, have fun. Warning, it's addictive. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See