fossil bone identification help

acolangeli

It appears to be a very worn and beat up calcaneus.  Any idea on age of sediments from which it came?  How certain are you that it is fossil?

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

I quit smoking on January 1, 2004, so I don’t have a lighter anymore and I don’t know how much it measures. You have nothing to give the actual size? At worst, I think it is possible to find on the internet a rule to print...

The 2nd pic also reminds me of a calcaneum.

Coco
On 11/5/2020 at 8:31 AM, ClearLake said:

It appears to be a very worn and beat up calcaneus.  Any idea on age of sediments from which it came?  How certain are you that it is fossil?

I'm not at all certain it's a fossil. I dont actually know anything about fossils, I just know this is oooollld. I dont know sediment agar but ill seevif Google has any answers on that. I do know people find an abundance of little  fish bone fossils (like tiny beads) in/around the same river location if thats of any help. Arkansas City, Kansas is specifically where it was found

On 11/5/2020 at 10:11 AM, Coco said:

Hi,

I quit smoking on January 1, 2004, so I don’t have a lighter anymore and I don’t know how much it measures. You have nothing to give the actual size? At worst, I think it is possible to find on the internet a rule to print...

The 2nd pic also reminds me of a calcaneum.

Coco

I will do you one better and take pictures with a micrometer in a few minutes

I've ruled out a few things and have a guess.  It is a calcaneum and I believe there is enough there to ID.  It is not tapir, horse, bison or deer.  It appears to be llama Paleolama( sp.) or perhaps a smaller Camel (Camelops sp.) which would make it a fossil indeed.  The lighter is okay for scale, that kind of lighter is about 4 inches or around 10 1/2 cm.  That would be consistent with llama material I have.  There are a few problems with the llama ID though, some of the diagnostic elements there don't quite line up.  If it is a calcaneum, it is a left, if that helps out any.