Help ID this green river fossil

Georgemckenzie

Hiya everyone my friend has sent me sone green river fishes I’m guessing there knightia he’s glued some pieces together because they have started to flake but I’ve noticed a little thing on the back plate and revealed it a help would be great to ID

10A30DB9-248B-47E6-BF1B-73E69F96C050.jpeg

04D5019F-E8C3-4B91-BF6F-FC27822C929F.jpeg

1 minute ago, LabRatKing said:

This is a pile of Knightia and a coprolite.

Thanks for the help I did think maybe coprolite always better to make sure as I haven’t seen green river coprolite 

• I found this Informative 1

26 minutes ago, Georgemckenzie said:

Thanks for the help I did think maybe coprolite always better to make sure as I haven’t seen green river coprolite 

I have a few of them somewhere around here. I was told at the quarry that many of them have been attributed to the stingrays found in the formation, but this is a stretch in my mind.

As a side note, might want to stabilize those fossils with the appropriate treatment....they will literally fall off the matrix over time otherwise.

2 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

As a side note, might want to stabilize those fossils with the appropriate treatment....they will literally fall off the matrix over time otherwise.

Thanks. I have some boxes to move from atop the chest mine are in. :)

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Thanks. I have some boxes to move from atop the chest mine are in. :)

I learned this the hard way with one of my "lucky splits" a year or so back. By the time I decided to stabilize it, it was too late....the sealant made a bad situation worse...though I have a cool coaster with a vague ghost Knightia spine impression in it!

2 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

I have a few of them somewhere around here. I was told at the quarry that many of them have been attributed to the stingrays found in the formation, but this is a stretch in my mind.

What would I used to treat them I’ve never done it before new to prepping and that?

1 minute ago, Georgemckenzie said:

What would I used to treat them I’ve never done it before new to prepping and that?

There are a number of products available. Paraloid is popular as is Vinac.

This is blasphemous, but on specimens from the softer layers, I use a mix of distilled water and acrylic concrete fortifier (3:1) which I apply with a mister. I do NOT recommend this method to beginners as it will destroy your fish if done wrong.

There is quite a bit in our Fossil Prep threads here on the forum discussing Green River preservation and prep.

• I found this Informative 3

Nice poop.  Coprolites are actually very common (more so than fish) in the Green River quarries that I have been to.  Not much commercial value, so they don't make to the market.  They just get flushed.   : )

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, jpc said:

Nice poop.  Coprolites are actually very common (more so than fish) in the Green River quarries that I have been to.  Not much commercial value, so they don't make to the market.  They just get flushed.   : )

Thanks for more insight I’m not really bothered about commercial value just nice to have a new piece that I haven’t had before :Smiling: