Bone ID help needed

butchndad

I found this 1.5 inch triangular piece of bone in Big Brook. I guess it to be too small to be identified by species. But I am hoping someone can give me some information. One flat side shows bone whereas the other almost has a stone finish. Most striking to my eye is In the 3rd photo (side view) the bone becomes much denser and darker as it gets closer to the flat stone-like outside? surface from photo 2. Any insights greatly appreciated. Thank you

7F5ED95B-E1EE-492D-94EC-1A6507E64794.jpeg

2E4D3BB2-9A90-4818-9EA2-19571024314B.jpeg

905B6B9B-74F9-4D63-8C43-C8943F5F0BD4.jpeg

DC1CF636-1AEC-41E7-8274-451B23321B9C.jpeg

4F0166A0-F2AF-4564-A0B7-064DDF10E3D7.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Are you sure it isn’t modern ? 

29 minutes ago, jpc said:

compared to fossil photos I have seen form Big brook, this looks modern.  A modern chunkosaur.

Thank you both, i apologize and should have said that i start with the assumption that any bone i find in Big Brook is modern.  Any further insight would be greatly appreciated

• I found this Informative 1

When I see a flat bone piece with large spaced bone trabeculae I think turtles  or tortise  as might be found Pleistocene peace river Florida 

I disagree with modern. This looks like typical Cretaceous bone from there, probably turtle

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

16 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I disagree with modern. This looks like typical Cretaceous bone from there, probably turtle

@The Jersey Devil is correct. This is a Cretaceous reptile bone. Statistically speaking, it is probably turtle given the abundance of turtle bones and the cell structure.

• I found this Informative 1

: )

My vote is Chiplodocus, but I’m actively following this and a few other Fragmentadon threads as I have literal boxes of dead critter chunks to try and Identify!

:popcorn: