butchndad

Bone ID help needed

butchndad

I found this 1.5 inch triangular piece of bone in Big Brook. I guess it to be too small to be identified by species. But I am hoping someone can give me some information. One flat side shows bone whereas the other almost has a stone finish. Most striking to my eye is In the 3rd photo (side view) the bone becomes much denser and darker as it gets closer to the flat stone-like outside? surface from photo 2. Any insights greatly appreciated. Thank you

7F5ED95B-E1EE-492D-94EC-1A6507E64794.jpeg

2E4D3BB2-9A90-4818-9EA2-19571024314B.jpeg

905B6B9B-74F9-4D63-8C43-C8943F5F0BD4.jpeg

DC1CF636-1AEC-41E7-8274-451B23321B9C.jpeg

4F0166A0-F2AF-4564-A0B7-064DDF10E3D7.jpeg

Familyroadtrip

Are you sure it isn’t modern ? 

jpc

compared to fossil photos I have seen form Big brook, this looks modern.  A modern chunkosaur.

butchndad
38 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Are you sure it isn’t modern ? 

29 minutes ago, jpc said:

compared to fossil photos I have seen form Big brook, this looks modern.  A modern chunkosaur.

Thank you both, i apologize and should have said that i start with the assumption that any bone i find in Big Brook is modern.  Any further insight would be greatly appreciated

Rockwood

Color aside, it seems an odd shape to be found in modern bone. How hard and heavy is it ?

val horn

When I see a flat bone piece with large spaced bone trabeculae I think turtles  or tortise  as might be found Pleistocene peace river Florida 

The Jersey Devil

I disagree with modern. This looks like typical Cretaceous bone from there, probably turtle

LabRatKing

Time for a burn test methinks.

Trevor
16 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I disagree with modern. This looks like typical Cretaceous bone from there, probably turtle

@The Jersey Devil is correct. This is a Cretaceous reptile bone. Statistically speaking, it is probably turtle given the abundance of turtle bones and the cell structure.

LabRatKing

My vote is Chiplodocus, but I’m actively following this and a few other Fragmentadon threads as I have literal boxes of dead critter chunks to try and Identify!

:popcorn: