Yorkshire Phylloceras finally finished

DanJeavs

Hi guys. It's been a while as always when it comes to posting on here. Plenty of reason, too long to go into. I hope everybody is doing as well as they can be during this pandemic. 

Now onto the good stuff. A while back, I posted my phylloceras in a sorry state of affairs, sections missing everywhere, cracks everywhere. Basically it didn't look fantastic. You'll be able to find it somewhere on here from previous posts. Well, lockdown happened here in the uk, which means there was only one thing to do during this time, and that was to get to work in the workshop and finish a lot of stuff. This was was number one priority as I had been putting it off for so long. 

And here it is 5fa54b40b8551_meandphylloproper.thumb.jpg.1ba828869e9a0b2de07a6c9071f79241.jpg

All the cracks we're filled in and painted up, there is a small section on the bottom that has been done and finished since I took this photo. There was a section of the outer whorl that had blown out and was none existent, and replaced by shale, probably some form of gas build up happened inside it and blew it out and destroying it. I then had to make a choice of rebuilding it, or figuring something else out. I decided to go against rebuilding, due to lack of experience and the fact it was such a large section, it probably wouldn't have looked quite right. Luckily, I have plenty of dactylioceras specimens of all shapes and sizes, and decided to filll the section with these, you do find these ammonites washed into the mouth borders of pyllos, so iv stuck with what would be there.

I don't even know how many hours went into this any more, but it was a lot, and its definitely something that has forced me to improve as a preperator. 

I'm currently building a metal stand for it, as it weighs a fair amount and no plastic stand will hold it. It now finally sits proudly in my collection and probably always will

I hope you all enjoy my work, and i'll be posting more regularly from now on due to a second lockdown in the uk. 

I actually have a rather large crocodile block i'm working on currently, including a rostrum, vertebrae ribs, teeth etc, theres a lot going on and it'll probably take a long time to complete due to the size and the fact that the majority of the work will involve using acid to remove everythign, either way, it'll certainly be a stunning piece once complete. Oh, and a rather large icthyosaur block measuring over two foot. (yes i have my work cut out for me haha)

Thanks. Dan

me and phyllo.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

56 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

That must have been one heckuva job!

Just a touch. That was not a fun walk back up the cliffs that day. I'd love to say i don't ever want to go through that again, but what am i saying, of course i want more haha

The artistry involved to prep such a piece astounds me. And, the presentation photo of the finished work is magnificent. (I have "stolen" the photo and added it to the screen saver slide show on my work computer!) But, all art geek aside...

<insert gushing remarks about fine motor skill and an eye for presentation here>

By Cthulhu, manno! How many hernias did you get hauling that beaut back home?

Truly a specimen to brag about.

Excellent work.  I was going to ask how many houirs, but I saw you had an answer in the text.  (Sorta).  

Looking forward to seeing the croc ... I love croc fossils.  

(I left a large ammonite on the base of the cliff at Charmouth once... too snarge big.)

5 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

The artistry involved to prep such a piece astounds me. And, the presentation photo of the finished work is magnificent. (I have "stolen" the photo and added it to the screen saver slide show on my work computer!) But, all art geek aside...

<insert gushing remarks about fine motor skill and an eye for presentation here>

By Cthulhu, manno! How many hernias did you get hauling that beaut back home?

Truly a specimen to brag about.

Thank you very much! Glad it's made it on there and i hope you get enjoyment out of seeing it every day. Hey, if i had cthulu with me it would have been very easy to bring back up haha. The worse part is, where it was found is some of the tallest cliffs along the yorkshire coast and they are VERY steep cliffs. Glad to say no hernias, just a very sore back and legs for a few days :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

Excellent work.  I was going to ask how many houirs, but I saw you had an answer in the text.  (Sorta).  

(I left a large ammonite on the base of the cliff at Charmouth once... too snarge big.)

Thanks you! If i had to have a guess, including manual prep, mechanical prep, and putting all the smaller ammonites into place, maybe 40 hours, though thats just a rough estimate. Very pyritic, and Yorkshire material is renowned for having some of the hardest pyrite out there. I'll post some pictures later with the croc, it's a mammoth task that going to take me way longer than this thing. 

Bah, no fossil is too big haha, iv hauled stuff off the beach with a rope wrapped around me i found on the beach and an old lobter fishing caged attached to it before. Where there's a will, there is a way haha

:default_rofl:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Heres the croc jaw buddy

croc jaw 1.jpg

croc jaw 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

28 minutes ago, RJB said:

problems or not, that came out beautifull !!!

RB

Thanks Ron. It’ll sit proudly in the collection for a long time now 

Hi, which material did you use to fill the cracks ? 

And when you prepped, did you remove the Hildoceras and glued back them ?

4 hours ago, Pixpaleosky said:

Hi, which material did you use to fill the cracks ? 

And when you prepped, did you remove the Hildoceras and glued back them ?

For the cracks, i used some milliput, then painted over it as close a colour as i could get to the shell. All the ammonites we're fit in using polifiller which is used to fill in holes in walls etc. The hildoceras nodule was glued all back together and prepared from the reverse side, it wasn't removed.