A little help with these bones?

ajgus

Hi! I have a couple of bones that I would love some help with. The first appears to be a metacarpal perhaps (?), about 2.5" long - of unknown origin. I received it in two pieces, with a bit of the surrounding matrix still intact. The matrix is rust-colored & grainy, almost similar to what you might find on a Spino tooth; although the fossil itself isn't colored like any spino specimen I've encountered, plus its a pretty small bone. Any thoughts on what it might be?

Secondly, is a vertibra, perhaps caudal (?). Very small, roughly an inch squared. My assumption is that it is mammalian in origin. It's color is reminiscent of various bear, lion & canine examples I've worked with, but I would differ to the more knowledgable minds here. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

A84EEABC-5AA1-4E78-93A7-DB84D3FDE740.JPG

0F98FB66-7752-4C36-9C93-EE3280059150.JPG

61CF851E-64EE-420F-B635-01EA46F9E21A.JPG

51 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Croc vertebras

That was one of my early suspicions. Any idea as to the age, species?

39 minutes ago, ajgus said:

That was one of my early suspicions. Any idea as to the age, species?

Hard to pin down without any locality information.  :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The small ones I’d write off as Chiplodocus or Fragmentadon or chunkasaurus, but the bone...I need to google morphology but I swear I’ve seen something similar before.

6 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

The small ones I’d write off as Chiplodocus or Fragmentadon or chunkasaurus, but the bone...I need to google morphology but I swear I’ve seen something similar before.

I should have been more clear, that’s my fault. They are the same bone, before & after cleaning/prep. I’d love to hear what you find, thanks!

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, ajgus said:

I should have been more clear, that’s my fault. They are the same bone, before & after cleaning/prep. I’d love to hear what you find, thanks!

I’ll review that on my big screen shortly- my phone has limits! 

Hello Ajgus,

I do not think the elongate bone is a metacarpal, that is really just a "gut feeling" but in my experience metacarpals do not have this 90° twist (if you compare the ends, they are flat in different directions). makes me think femur or humerus, reptile, maybe also croc?

Bet regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

On 11/8/2020 at 2:56 AM, Mahnmut said:

Hello Ajgus,

I do not think the elongate bone is a metacarpal, that is really just a "gut feeling" but in my experience metacarpals do not have this 90° twist (if you compare the ends, they are flat in different directions). makes me think femur or humerus, reptile, maybe also croc?

Bet regards,

J

Thanks! I believe you are correct.  Just today I had someone tell me they believed it was in fact a humerus;  perhaps that of a turtle.  I believe this particular fossil hails from Hell Creek,  so that helps narrow it down a little bit as well.