Sclerotic rings discussion

LabRatKing

So...I have some questions about sclerotic rings.

In addition to supporting large eyes, resisting pressure, etc. how do they work? I ask as I see four basic forms across species, extant and extinct.

the first is a fixed ring fused to the frontal and zygomatics.

the second looks to be a fused or partially fused ring that is around the iris

the third is a ring of small plates held together by connective tissue

and the fourth looks like a camera iris

Where my confusion arises is with the third and fourth and some birds and fossils. Do these function as part of the actual muscles of the iris sliding/flexing the sclera, or are they purely support for the overall structure?

For those unfamiliar:

5C5CA82C-9B61-4A41-A0AF-73CB0BD758B1.png

• I found this Informative 2

I should add that the visual is a web steal and other, more trustworthy references give data that is contradictory and/or confusing to me.

From what I am able to gather  they appear to help support the eye and prevent movement of the eye in the socket, and the shape and structure the of the ring is related to the lifestyle of the animal that had them, as the shape can determine what time of day it was most active, as changing the structure and distance of parts of the eyes allows the animal to have the advantage in either diurnal or nocturnal life. I found a paper that talks about them which might do a better job at explaining then me.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1469-7580.2008.00897.x

• I found this Informative 1

So I’m asking this as I’m working on an Archaeopteryx project on the side, and pointed out that the fossil morphology is nearly identical to extant chameleon morphology...and there is an oft ignored bone on the Berlin specimen that correlates to turret eyes and extensible tongue on extant insectivores...

yeah, heresy, but I’m not a paleomorphologist, just a scrub with an eye for details...

hence some of the other posts I’ve made today...feelers...

tomorrow, I’ll start what will become the controversial post on the first physical Archaeopteryx reconstruction based off all available research.

these eye rings are the wild card...

but, I’ll start with a 2x scale and work into a 1:1 but I believe I can support a claim about the Berlin specimen that is way outside the box...

building an automata to support my wild claims...

but the comparative data indicates chameleon-like turret eyes...and an extensible tongue do to ignited fossil evidence....on lithographica...

12 minutes ago, Rhiguita said:

That sounds really interesting and I want to see how the reconstruction comes out.

Me too, I have pretty solid references for the structure, but the eyes are the wild card. Archaeopteryx has what I call “type4”.

ill save the rest of the details for a separate thread...hoping the heavy hitters will chime in

30 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

tomorrow, I’ll start what will become the controversial post on the first physical Archaeopteryx reconstruction based off all available research.

Not sure what you mean by the first... this has been done several times....

17 minutes ago, jpc said:

Not sure what you mean by the first... this has been done several times....

Absolutely. But I’m going to try something a bit different...okay really different...

But back to sclerotics...

chameleon vs bird vs amphibians vs reptile 

turret eyes on gape limited insectivores?

shutter effect or anchor?

:zzzzscratchchin:

Well if it's Archaeopteryx info you're looking for. I made a detailed skull reconstruction a while ago. And I did include the sclerotic rings. It might be helpful as reference.

I mostly used the proportions from Peter Wellnhofer's 2d skull reconstruction. But there were a number of inaccuracies due to when that reconstruction was made. Since then there have been studies on the braincase using CT data from the London specimen. So I used that to correct the posterior half of the braincase. I also made extensive use of highly detailed photos of several of the specimens, mainly London, Eichstatt and Thermopolis but also Berlin and Munich. Some of them have the sclerotic ring mostly intact, but none of them have a good view of the medial side. So in my reconstruction I just left the medial sides of the rings blank. I'm quite confident in that I got most of the anatomy correct on the skull. But perhaps the sclerotic rings I'm less confident in simply because I don't know enough about how those work. So I've mostly followed Wellnhofer in reconstructing those.

I highly recommend getting the book "Archaeopteryx: The Icon of Evolution" by Peter Wellnhofer. It's an absolutely fantastic book. It's where I got most of my reference. The only thing is that it's slightly out of date by now as some things have changed in Archaeopteryx research. Such as the a fore mentioned London CT scan, but also the melanosome research on the feather and the reclassification of some of the specimens like the Haarlem specimen. But even so, it's a great resource and an absolute must have.

You can view my reconstruction here.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 2 years later...
On 11/6/2020 at 6:28 PM, LabRatKing said:

ill save the rest of the details for a separate thread..

Did You doo this? Where is the thread?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.