Thrift store fossil leaf

jort68

Hey all,

Picked this up as a gift for my girlfriend's brother. Today's his birthday and I figured I'd try and start his fossil collection...

I asked the shopowner for details but she said her mother must have received this one something like 50 years ago. Dead end.

If anybody has any guesses I'd love to be able to tell him what he now owns!  

FF104166-0B72-40BA-BB34-18A942361A85.thumb.jpeg.223864a5b4d03986b9c3b2df08714c61.jpeg

42331240-B8D5-4DF2-AAC0-1F6452D5ADB8.thumb.jpeg.ff66cd2bd51dcd2730a6a937aedaadc9.jpeg

0C81D1A3-7F29-43FC-8B04-35460AEEDD93.thumb.jpeg.3ff167f8c492e9e9ab1f0c177a2d2e0c.jpeg

Thank you guys so much!

:ptero:

Full disclosure, that is just a guess. I forwarded the images to my resident botanist as the stuff I know doesn’t leave fossils!

• I found this Informative 1

Green River is likely but it also looks very much like something from the quarry behind the high school in Fossil Oregon. John Day formation, bridge creek beds. It has been open to the public since the early 50's. Nice specimen to start off a collection for your girlfriend's brother with. A leaf fossil from there was one of my very first finds. I think you and he might well be able to identify it yourselves. Start with the many sources easily found on the web for flora from the Green River and John Day formations. It'll be fun to let him try before you tell him what the experts on this site will undoubtedly soon reveal. Best of luck to you and the young fossil collector you are inspiring. 

• I found this Informative 2

17 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Full disclosure, that is just a guess. I forwarded the images to my resident botanist as the stuff I know doesn’t leave fossils!

fuller disclosure... the leaf might look like a Green River leaf but the rock is nothing close.  

• I found this Informative 3

On 11/6/2020 at 3:59 PM, jort68 said:

I figured I'd try and start his fossil collection..

If he cares to try a little preparation work, the margins being exposed may help with identification.

On 11/7/2020 at 10:13 AM, jpc said:

but the rock is nothing close.  

Fossil Lake perhaps, but it looks pretty similar to the more southerly lake's exposure at Douglas Pass doesn't it ?

It looks a little like  a Aleophylus flexifolia leaf  thats also found at Douglas Pass, Colorado part of the Green River Formation. Here one of mine for comparison

Aleophylus flexifolia Green River

5883DDAE-6C7F-43D2-A0AE-FE53B8D3F937.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

I'm so happy to have received all these responses, everyone's reply really helped me to better understand the origin of this leaf. 

If anyone cares to know, he was thrilled to receive it. Thought it was so cool. 

:ptero: