Post Oak Creek Micro IDs

fossilsonwheels

I have been able to identify most of the shark and batoid micro fossils I pulled out of the matrix I got from @Captcrunch227 . There a few teeth that I can not identify though so I thought I post them here. 

I think this 6mm tooth is a Paranomotodon tooth. It certainly appears to match the others I have and the examples on Elasmo. There is no evidence of any lateral cusps or anything. 

C17822BB-3248-414F-8827-26E8AA1EF71B.jpeg

7E0F0DDC-953C-4A57-81C6-1A649ADDBC11.jpeg

Not sure what this tiny 3mm tooth belonged to. It’s pretty robust for such a small tooth. No nutrient groove on the root. I looked on Elasmo and through my own teeth but am no closer to an ID. 

This is the most frustrating one lol I feel like I should be able to ID this my own. 

7B2A9B8E-D20A-4880-980A-B991D8B8E0D2.jpeg

8B5349D5-B3DC-4B2B-805A-95DE0F012A97.jpeg

This one is pretty small at 2mm. I originally thought it might be Orectolobiformes but I really do not know. 

457B9AF2-FAEC-422A-8EBB-E39C3E9EDE05.jpeg

D9F3B3A6-2860-44AE-BAA8-F7239771FF5C.jpeg

1217DE8B-A857-418A-8100-CC018FEA7A9B.jpeg

Are there striations on the lingual face of the crown (first tooth)? I think it's Scapanorhynchus sp., Paranomotodon I think would have a larger, more distinct dental band.

As for the second and third, I've found many of these as well. I think the second is a posterior Cretolamna. The third may be posterior goblin, based on the nutrient groove. Really hard to say with these small teeth, it's hard to find references.

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I think @ThePhysicist nailed them on the IDs. Second I’d agree is definitely Cretalamna. The other 2 likely are goblins (Scapanorynchus) as their teeth are the most common at this location. The third might possibly be a Cretalamna posterior based on the shape of the root. But it’s a tough call really. 

Glad you’re finding some good stuff though man! 

• I found this Informative 1

On 11/7/2020 at 1:15 PM, ThePhysicist said:

Are there striations on the lingual face of the crown (first tooth)? I think it's Scapanorhynchus sp., Paranomotodon I think would have a larger, more distinct dental band.

As for the second and third, I've found many of these as well. I think the second is a posterior Cretolamna. The third may be posterior goblin, based on the nutrient groove. Really hard to say with these small teeth, it's hard to find references.

Thank you for assistance. No striations on the lingual face of the crown on tooth #1. 

5 hours ago, Captcrunch227 said:

I think @ThePhysicist nailed them on the IDs. Second I’d agree is definitely Cretalamna. The other 2 likely are goblins (Scapanorynchus) as their teeth are the most common at this location. The third might possibly be a Cretalamna posterior based on the shape of the root. But it’s a tough call really. 

Glad you’re finding some good stuff though man! 

I did find some good stuff. That matrix definitely added to the collection. The small teeth are hard to identify but fortunately I have awesome TFF friends to help out with that lol

22 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I did find some good stuff. That matrix definitely added to the collection. The small teeth are hard to identify but fortunately I have awesome TFF friends to help out with that lol

Yeah the teeth at Post Oak Creek are abundant, but quality is on the lower end. I had a trip there a few weeks ago and in 2-3 hours I came away with 40-50 teeth. But maybe only a handful of those were 90% complete and maybe only 1 or 2 were 100% complete. Still sometimes it’s nice to come home with 40 teeth as opposed to the  3 I came home with this weekend at another spot

On 11/8/2020 at 4:21 PM, fossilsonwheels said:

No striations on the lingual face of the crown on tooth #1. 

Ok, I still think it's a goblin. It doesn't really have a dental band, and given the genus's extreme abundance in POC...it's more likely. I personally haven't seen or heard of Paranomotodon from POC.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff