Mississippian Subperiod stem-tetrapod footprints

LoneRanger

Took a recent collecting trip to a site that preserves stem-tetrapod, anthracosaur (reptile-like amphibian) footprints from the Mississippian subperiod.  As seen in the photos, it's fairly common for these to show an overlap of front and back (manus and pes) prints.  As part of the agreement for site access, I can't provide any info on geologic formation or location, but it's not the Union Chapel Mine or any other well-known Carboniferious ichnofossil site.  Paleontologist Alfred Romer coined the term "Romer's gap" to describe the lack of tetrapod fossils in the earlies Carboniferous Period (roughly 360 to 345 mya).  In recent years, new finds have been made that help fill in this gap, and an internet search on Romer's gap will provide a variety of papers describing interesting worldwide Late Devonian/early Mississippian tetrapod fossil finds.

AmphibiPrints 012 resize.jpg

AmphibiPrints 002 resize.jpg

AmphibiPrints 005 resize.jpg

AmphibiPrints 006 resize.jpg

AmphibiPrints 014 resize.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Those are incredible! Amazing finds!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Thanks for posting these. 

Nice to see such great pieces in your collection. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

12 hours ago, jdp said:

These are pretty interesting. Is someone working on these fossils?

Yes, these have been studied and scientifically named, but providing the name would make it possible -- by internet search -- to track down (pun intended) the site!