bryozoa or brachiopod?

Ramona

This is an odd little rock that I found at my son's land in Franklin County today, near Lost Creek (Alabama).  I am seeing what I think is an area of bryozoan fossils of some sort on it, but then I saw this tiny little shape that is encased inside of something else.  I thought it was a brachiopod at first until I looked up closed with my trusty macro lens and saw teensy dots along the edges.  Is this another type of bryozoa? And, if so, why is it encased inside of something?  

Thanks!!

Ramona

IMG_1868edit.jpg

IMG_1886edit.jpg

IMG_1884edit.jpg

I think they may be brachiopods that have been broken and the broken off piece forced inside of the rest of the shell. The pinpricks could be spine bases, suggesting productids as the most likely type. 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think they may be brachiopods that have been broken and the broken off piece forced inside of the rest of the shell. The pinpricks could be spine bases, suggesting productids as the most likely type. 

Okie, that sounds likely to me!  Thanks!

• I found this Informative 1