Partial Trachyscaphites from Big Brook donated to the MAPS collection.

Last winter, on an otherwise poor outing at Big Brook, N.J. in the cold, I found a partial ammonite body chamber- Trachyscaphites pulcherrimus with nice details. I showed it to Ralph Johnson, who curates the MAPS collection (Monmouth Amateur Paleontological Society). I agreed to donate this rare specimen to what is the largest collection of Upper Cretaceous marine fossils from the Atlantic Coastal Plain (New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland). The fossil ended up in the MAPS collection's educational display. I finally got to see it today, prepared by Ralph, in the display case and photograph it. 

IMG_6879.JPG

IMG_6881.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

Jeff, 

Way to go, my friend. 

Big Congratulations on making that donation! 

Please do a quick write up in the Gallery, and we can get you settled with your Partners in Paleontology badge. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well done Jeff! Congrats on such a great find and donation. 

:yay-smiley-1:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

That's an excellent find. :wub: :wub: :wub:  I really hope to be able to see the MAPS collection one of these days.  Congratulations :yay-smiley-1: on the Partners in Paleontology badge.

Don

Congratulations on a geographically rare discovery!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ