Fossil Tooth

Victoria Rance

Hi I am a newbie to the forum. Hoping I can get some fossil identification! I found this today at Ramsholt Cliffs in Suffolk, England. The rock formation here is coralline crag, red crab and London clay. I’ve found various shark teeth here which I might post but I’m more interested in this tooth which I found today. It’s an incisor but from what. Looks too big to be modern human. Could it be an ape of some sort?

A8F5DDC3-75E7-4686-9E3B-9C4DC01A75EA.jpeg

Welcome from Illinois. Post this in the ID section of the forum. I will receive more attention there than it will here.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Welcome from Colorado. Not sure what it is though.

59 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I will receive more attention there than it will here.

The fossil will too ;)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Hi. I was at Ramsholt Cliffs in Suffolk, Uk today and found this strange looking tooth. It’s a very large incisor and looks too big to be from a modern human. Could it be an ape of some sort? The rock formations are London Clay, red crag and coralline crag, on the river shoreline a few miles inland from the Suffolk coast. It is a well known treasure trove for fossils.  I also found various sharks teeth, also exciting but this tooth is very interesting! Any help or ideas as to what it is from would be great.

148076FB-3B81-4F1D-8675-7B8A486AD9E1.jpeg

Topics Merged. 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Probably a horse incisor. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It could be a horse incisor.:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

My gut says big deer or elk incisor, will look through my horse stuff and see if I can find a better match.  It has the color and look of a more modern tooth, but it could still be fossil depending on the minerals in the matrix.

• I found this Informative 1

23 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Welcome from Colorado. Not sure what it is though.

On 11/8/2020 at 12:57 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

I will receive more attention there than it will here.

The fossil will too ;)

Proofreading. It's all about the proofreading. :DOH:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

30mm is about right for a human canine - but the crown of the tooth isn’t quite right for human.  Doesn’t mean it’s not, but it would be an odd shaped crown.