thelivingdead531

Yesterday we decided to get out a bit for the first time in months and go to the Wyoming State Museum. We were the only visitors so we had the museum to ourselves, which was pretty nice. It houses a rich history of Native Americans, wildlife, mining, military, and fossils. I'm only going to post the fossil related photos though. 

20201108_153941.thumb.jpg.89b65a6f3272bc85cc22534a3424cd5c.jpg

20201108_154021.thumb.jpg.0a63060ded48faef7e3fd4acc46009b8.jpg

20201108_154109.thumb.jpg.46663de8be395b0b60ffec2f666e7343.jpg

20201107_144002.thumb.jpg.c60da58fb6c9447c697b30cf75121ad8.jpg

20201108_154216.thumb.jpg.18228b3eca674cfe68a7f04039501ada.jpg

• I found this Informative 8
  • Enjoyed 1

Oh, and of course I left with some tiny fish fossils from the gift shop, because why wouldn't I? Just Knightia eocaena, but I love them still.  :wub:

20201108_152347.thumb.jpg.4e141ad8b8e95b918167c0dfa9da7153.jpg

20201108_152418.thumb.jpg.b2d9e66352722c0460658d2e9f0d8e8b.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Looks like a nice place. Thanks for taking us along! :) 

The young man standing next to the Apatosaurus thigh bone really puts into perspective just how big those animals were.

That donated Gomphothere bone made me laugh. There is a paragraph written on it! I guess you would be less likely to lose the information that way, but I can barely see the bone. Haha! 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Looks like a nice place. Thanks for taking us along! :) 

The young man standing next to the Apatosaurus thigh bone really puts into perspective just how big those animals were.

That donated Gomphothere bone made me laugh. There is a paragraph written on it! I guess you would be less likely to lose the information that way, but I can barely see the bone. Haha! 

I love how they displayed an adult human femur next to the Apatosaurus femur to give people an idea of size. I figured my kid would make it more interesting lol.

I forgot to add the photo of the story behind the Gomphothere bone! If you look at the writing on the bone it says that it's a reptile because they thought it was a dinosaur bone. :DOH:

20201108_154155.thumb.jpg.d46fdb6a4ac54dbdd0b0b96e70cfdd88.jpg

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

If you look at the writing on the bone it says that it's a reptile because they thought it was a dinosaur bone.

The poor donor was all kinds of confused... Thought it was a dinosaur, wrote reptile, was actually a gomphothere. :unsure:

2 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I love how they displayed an adult human femur next to the Apatosaurus femur to give people an idea of size. I figured my kid would make it more interesting lol.

I agree! :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

11 hours ago, jpc said:

It is a nice place.  Did you see my colleague Russell's paleo artwork?  

I’m honestly not sure, we saw so many things. :unsure: Do you happen to have a photo of his artwork that is at the museum?

It is a display of maybe 20 black and white (mostly) illustrations of prehistoric beasts.  Russell Hawley is his name. He had a special exhibit a year or so ago, and when it was over they asked if they could just keep it up.  Here is his interpretation of the Eocene of Wyoming. 

5fa97501ccf48_RJHWasatch.thumb.jpg.6a2b2212d336c46153f593b5f4ce4f39.jpg 

• I found this Informative 2

Sadly, I did not see any art like that. A lot of the building seemed to be closed off, so if it’s on display then it could have been in a different part than where we were allowed to go (or I just happened to miss it entirely). I plan to go back a few more times before we leave Wyoming so I’ll keep an eye out for his art.

• 3 weeks later...

Great trip report. Guess I can skip stopping there some day :megdance:Ok, not really. Now I need to plan a side trip next time I drive down.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, Sjfriend said:

Great trip report. Guess I can skip stopping there some day :megdance:Ok, not really. Now I need to plan a side trip next time I drive down.

I definitely recommend it if you’re in the area. The fossil section is a little small but still impressive. The whole museum is rich in Wyoming history and very interesting. 

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I definitely recommend it if you’re in the area. The fossil section is a little small but still impressive. The whole museum is rich in Wyoming history and very interesting. 

And it has the Green River Fm rhino (?)  For those who drive out here to go fishing in the  Green River Fm, it worth a stop just for this fossil alone.