Partial Mammoth Tooth?

Brandy Cole

I recently got interested in fossil hunting when my family found a couple of fossils while wading in the river near our home.  Everything my husband and I have found has been on a sandbar or in shallow water.  I've been told the river can be a good place to find Pleistocene fossils of big mammals and reptiles.  We've found several things that I'm hoping people can help me identify in the next few days, but it may be easiest to start with one that doesn't require a lot of pictures so I can test out this whole submission process.  =-)

We found this and debated about what it was.  It didn't look like normal petrified wood, and it resembled a mammoth tooth fragment I saw on this site.  Any info would be great.

I have more pictures if they would be helpful.  

I'm looking forward to posting a few partial bones we've found and some reptile-related things (unless I'm guessing completely wrong on those) in the next day or so.  

Thank you in advance. 

--Brandy

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Nice Find,  those parallel line are distinctive to Mammoth plates

5fa89cba5c508_Picture2020cmplate.jpg.80bb8c0e36eb1e3d0f0ab41bbf53d7f8.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Just think, y'all now hold a piece of one of those Pleistocene giants.  Congratulations!

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Definitely mammoth, I believe Mammuthus columbi is the only species present in Texas. Good luck with your continued hunting out there, those pleistocene areas yield some really cool stuff! 

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you all for the help and information!  I would never have known that's what it might have been if I hadn't seen a post on this site with a picture talking about how fragments look very different than the whole piece.  

My brother had a rock collection when we were little, and one of the pieces that impressed me most was a chunk of mammoth tooth he showed me when I was about five.  I remember very little about it, just that it was amazing that we were holding something from a prehistoric animal, and it made a lasting impression.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

• JohnJ changed the title to Partial Mammoth Tooth?