Clint08

We recently were able to take a trip to the Miocene of Virginia along the Potomac River. We weren't sure what the conditions would be, as the last time we were here the tide was extremely high limiting the length of the beach and how much was accessible. When we got to the beach we could tell it would be a good day, the tide was pretty low with still a couple hours to go before low tide, and we could see long stretches of beach in both directions. As we walked I wasn't having to much luck, but my wife who trailed behind me was finding some good sized hastalis teeth that I had missed. Once we got to a better section of the beach with cobble and larger rocks, we really started to take our time searching. In about ankle deep water I looked down and spotted a 4 7/8 inch halved meg, I couldn't believe it! By far the biggest and most complete meg I had ever found up to this point (Previously have only found very worn bits and pieces of megs). We kept searching and stopped to talk for a bit and when I looked down I saw another very worn meg sticking almost fully out of some fallen clay matrix. We were both happy with the day so far! Between two partial megs and a good number of hemi's and nice hastalis, it was definitely one of our more productive days. We reached the end of the accessible beach and decided to head back. On the way back, I was searching up along the higher parts of the shore and saw a small clay block with some black sticking out and picked it up. Looking at it I thought it was just some lignite, but decided to look a bit closer. I picked at it a bit and it ended up being a meg! My first complete and whole meg, I was extremely happy with the find and could finally check that off my list. Overall, we couldn't have asked for a better day weather or finds wise.  

For teeth we ended up with a good haul of hastalis, hemis, two partial and one whole megs, and a retroflexus.The plate pictured has on it a whale vert, epiphysis, and various shark or fish verts,

Stratford1.jpg

Stratford2.jpg

Stratford3.jpg

Stratford4.jpg

Stratford5.jpg

Stratford6.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

19 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Congrats on the Meg.

I do like the big vert as well. :)

Thank you! Now I have to find a place to put it :heartylaugh:

19 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Awesome finds! Love those megs!!! Sounds like an awesome hunt!

19 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Awesome finds! Love those megs!!! Sounds like an awesome hunt!

14 hours ago, Family Fun said:

Looks like a super successful day, well done!

13 hours ago, HemiHunter said:

Holy cow--that's a great bunch of teeth!  Congrats on the meg!

Thank you! :rolleyes:

• I found this Informative 1