Steve D.

Hey all! 

I found a hunk of Isotelus! Found in Fort Mitchell, KY this last weekend. I am wondering if this is actually a fragment of an Isotelus Rex?!

Let me know your thoughts. It's been a bit since I posted on the website and I'll be sharing over a years worth of hunting soon!!!! 

All the best,

Steve

124567023_10220453736945997_1186074170571936550_n.jpg

124770618_10222059203861020_614443145593820793_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Awesome find! I don't however think its part of an Isotelus rex, they grew up to over 28 inches long and your piece is about 4 - 5 inches (Guessing) which would have made the complete one around 12 inches long. This size I estimated is an educated guess so I wouldn't be surprised if I was off by a few inches but it wouldn't be a foot difference. Isotelus rex or not still a cool piece

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I tried comparing it to a full size isotelus although it doesn't line up too well so you need to multiply the length of your piece by about 2.7 to get the full length,

image.png.5ed0dc8db35af7129e5b777216440630.png

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

9 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I tried comparing it to a full size isotelus although it doesn't line up too well so you need to multiply the length of your piece by about 2.7 to get the full length,

I think the inserted picture needs to be flipped 180 degrees and moved to the bottom left, nice specimen btw

• I found this Informative 3

13 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I agree with Phevo, you can see from the direction of the pluera that this is from the left side of the trilo and contains part of the pygidium.

Isotelus rex has only been reported from Manitoba, Canada.  Large specimens of Isotelus maximus measure up to 16 inches (41 cm) in length.

Rudkin, D.M., Young, G.A., Elias, R.J., Dobrzanski, E.P. 2003

The world's biggest trilobite—Isotelus rex new species from the Upper Ordovician of Northern Manitoba, Canada. Journal of Paleontology, 77(1):99-112  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 7

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

32 minutes ago, Phevo said:

I think the inserted picture needs to be flipped 180 degrees and moved to the bottom left, nice specimen btw

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was part of the pygidium or cephalon, figured I had a 50% chance of getting right.

image.png.16e78d2dbfea61023d4f1874607ab063.png

• I found this Informative 5

This is great guys and thanks! My finds from that day were pretty skimpy until I pawed through some rocks to find this guy :)