Iguanodon footcast

FF7_Yuffie

Hello,

Any thoughts on this, please? It looks like footcasts I've seen for sale before, but a second opinion--just in case--would be great. Partial footcast, I believe, showing the three toes. But if someone can tell if it is, and not just a foot shaped rock.

It was found in Dorset from excavations along with a couple of others and was in a private museum for years. Which, if it was in a museum, makes me hopeful it's legit. Seller doesn't have a more narrowed-down location than Dorset, unfortunately. But looking online, prints and casts have been found there.

Seller says it looks better in person--which I can totally get. The theropod print from IoW I've got photographs very badly but looks great in person.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Seems a bit dodgy, to me.

Not easily identified at all.

If I can't easily make out that it is a print, I would (personally)  avoid collecting or buying it. 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Seems a bit dodgy, to me.

Not easily identified at all.

If I can't easily make out that it is a print, I would (personally)  avoid collecting or buying it. 

Cheers, thanks for having a look. I'll leave this one, then.

This is a ornithopod under print not a cast. Looks like from the Portland limestone near Weymouth Dorset. Looks totally legit to me. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, fossils-uk said:

This is a ornithopod under print not a cast. Looks like from the Portland limestone near Weymouth Dorset. Looks totally legit to me. 

Cheers, thanks for having a look. I think it's gone, but I'll give it another look if it's still up.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add this images to explain the concept of an "undertrack" - though, in retrospect, the term is quite self-explanatory :)

preserve5.jpg.ceed671814ac3faed59bf5ba7573a7da.jpgtrkvar1.thumb.jpg.549dec9fdfb77738ca3aceb1a99c53f0.jpg

(images taken from here and here)

• I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

8 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Thought I'd add this images to explain the concept of an "undertrack" - though, in retrospect, the term is quite self-explanatory :)

preserve5.jpg.ceed671814ac3faed59bf5ba7573a7da.jpgtrkvar1.thumb.jpg.549dec9fdfb77738ca3aceb1a99c53f0.jpg

(images taken from here and here)

Thanks for the info. I had a look online after the earlier post, because I wasn't sure what they were or how they were formed.  Interesting, I have a couple of casts and true tracks (and one rpetty cool theropod print that is filled in with fossilised mussels from IOW)  but no undertracks. It's a new one to me--I hadn't heard of them before.