Stegosaurus tooth and unknown sauropod teeth from Morrison and Cloverly Formation

-Andy-

Hi all, I have 3 teeth here I need help with

The first is a Stegosaurus tooth:

5fac1fe3e83b5_Stego1.jpg.ee968ad130380974079344755694260a.jpg

It comes from Wyoming, USA. Morrison Formation. It looks like a Stego tooth to me in terms of size and morphology, based off this thread > 

---

Next, a supposed Barosaurus tooth:

5fac1fe5ee1e9_barosaurus1.thumb.jpg.2ff0c7b61784fccf123c5c6c8d000b4e.jpgbaro.jpg.abb63558085cdb64b4f89af718aa307f.jpg

It comes from Sundance, Wyoming. Morrison Formation. I cannot find any good literature on Barosaurus teeth. This tooth doesn't seem to have the spade-like shape I usually associate with Camarasaurus teeth.

---

Lastly, there is a sauropod tooth from the Cloverly Formation:

5fac1fe14145c_Cloverly2.jpg.4ff49749c46a2ed2fa1864479da0b5a8.jpg5fac1fe2b3251_cloverly1.jpg.adad43a93ff9e947631382715d36a0ff.jpg

It comes from Montana, USA. Cloverly Formation. I presume it is a Titanosauriform indet. based off these two papers:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/254315252_The_Beginning_of_the_Sauropod_Dinosaur_Hiatus_in_North_America_Insights_from_the_Lower_Cretaceous_Cloverly_Formation_of_Wyoming
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236886285_Vertebrate_Paleontology_of_the_Cloverly_Formation_Lower_Cretaceous_I_Faunal_Composition_Biogeographic_Relationships_and_Sampling

Can I have your thoughts on these 3 teeth? Thank you.

- Andy

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Do you have better location on the Cloverly sauropod and the Stegosaurus tooth?

I do think the Stegosaurus tooth in question appears to have an accurate ID but need to double check it isn't coming from a cretaceous site.

Your first tooth looks like a Stegosaurus sp.  and I'm comfortable calling it one but need a much closer locality to support that call.

Your second tooth is a big question mark.  Barosaurus is in the Diplo family but clueless if its possible to differentiate them.. I've never seen one and only know of material from Utah or SD not WY.  Not sure it can be ID but suggest you contact Ken Carpenter.  If anyone can he's the one.  Checked Wiki and it says no skulls have been found...:Horrified:

You last tooth resembles one from the sauropod Sauroposeidon.  Again you need a much better locality than montana.  Here is one from my collection you can see the resemblance.

Sauro1a.thumb.jpg.1f2b00dae7a155e8bacf73038b097e1c.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

For your Cloverly tooth, there are two titanosauriforms known from the formation, Sauroposeidon and Rugocaudia (although the latter may be dubious). After checking online if any Sauroposeidon skull material had been discovered, I found that a maxilla and teeth initially referred to as Paluxysaurus (now synonymized with Sauroposeidon) had been described from Texas. As for Rugocaudia, only a partial postcranial skeleton has been described.

Here are the Sauroposeidon teeth from Texas, Winkler et.al. 2012 (image from researchgate.net)

figure-fig3.png

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Left-maxilla-of-Paluxysaurus-jonesi-FWMSH-93B10-18-holotype-in-A-lateral-view-and_fig13_259437088

However, in the same range of time as the Cloverly, Astrodon, another titanosauriform is known from both Oklahoma (Antlers fm.) and Maryland (Arundel fm.). It would not be a stretch to say this genus could have existed in the Cloverly as well. Here's a picture of Astrodon teeth from the Dinosaur Park in Maryland.

astroden.jpg

• I found this Informative 3