Dinosaur remains from Northern Ireland

Troodon

Good to hear that the Northern Ireland has joined the dinosaur community.

Here is the abstract

Several specimens from the Lias Group (Lower Jurassic) of Northern Ireland have been suspected as dinosaurian in origin. Bone histology and morphology demonstrates that two of these, both from the same locality in Co. Antrim, demonstrably are from dinosaurs. We interpret one as the proximal end of the left femur of a basal thyreophoran ornithischian, and tentatively assign it to cf. Scelidosaurus. The other is the proximal part of the left tibia of an indeterminate neotheropod, perhaps a member of the averostran-line similar to Sarcosaurus, or a megalosauroid. These are the first dinosaur remains reported from anywhere in Ireland and some of the most westerly in Europe, and they are among only a small number of dinosaurs known from the Hettangian Stage. Two additional specimens are no longer considered to be from dinosaurs. We interpret one as a surangular or mandible fragment from a large marine reptile, perhaps an ichthyosaur or pliosaur; the other is a polygonal fragment of Paleocene basalt.

Paywalled

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0016787820300638

Capture.JPG.1b80ca738f0fca420ac392f5665539ea.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It is a tad amusing that one of the pieces turned out to be basalt.......:unsure:

The material found was typical of UK's specimens very well water worn with few features.:D  

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

The material found was typical of UK's specimens very well water worn with few features.:D  

Blimey! Then I've probably got thousands of 'em! ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 months later...

Given the beach they were found on is covered in rounded lumps of basalt I'm in complete awe of the man who found them! 

He must have the eyesight of a hawk or have picked up tonnes of gravel/cobbles to study!