Top Trilo’s drawings

Top Trilo

Decided I would make a thread with my drawings, recently I decided to draw trilobites that are not necessarily proportional and I didn’t spend too much time on these just wanted them to be life size and recognizable, so far I have 19, I took ideas from @Kane trilobite drawings and @rew trilobite collection. I will add to this thread as I draw more fossils not only trilobites. You may not be able to read the labels partly from camera quality and mostly from my handwriting. :)

7B7DA92C-9B40-4267-A63B-7F08C9CC13A5.thumb.jpeg.885d3447b2827fb22a10ad99ca271a6c.jpeg4E84D14F-1CEF-4210-AC74-7D82EE9FA458.thumb.jpeg.538951085717b1beb788e1b2fb14811f.jpeg432E7C9B-C1D8-41F5-B3C7-B678B128C915.thumb.jpeg.ff6f4e07111752b12c0240c959aa2fb1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11
  • Enjoyed 4

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Tried drawing mini versions of three of my favorite trilobites from @Kane’s drawings

39E67E88-3875-4713-B578-426EE89E0A0E.thumb.jpeg.68e557388b6cf3e0812dfc0d757caf23.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

That's quite an attractive variety of trilobites you drew. Well done.

:trilowalk:

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Good work. 

I recognize a few of these. :P 

It is always a challenge to photograph graphite drawings due to the shine, so I'm sure they look even better in person. :trilosurprise:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 11/11/2020 at 5:56 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Not bad at all. 

Thanks for sharing. :)

On 11/11/2020 at 8:09 PM, Pagurus said:

That's quite an attractive variety of trilobites you drew. Well done.

:trilowalk:

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Good work. 

I recognize a few of these. :P 

It is always a challenge to photograph graphite drawings due to the shine, so I'm sure they look even better in person. :trilosurprise:

Thanks guys that means a lot.

I recently finished this cephalopod drawing. Ammonites are one of my favorite fossils to draw.27F55C48-11B0-417F-98B2-7C475214B7FF.thumb.jpeg.43a9769371ef10d647a4572eeafeb7f8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a diplomystus drawing. I also glued some mica to it because I had some and wanted to do something with it. I really liked @Pagurus diplo painting but I can’t paint nearly that well so I drew it. The worst part is when I was done I didn’t realize I wrote Dilomystus so then I erased it and then all the eraser shavings got stuck in the glue with the mica :DOH:. This is the finished product (after I fixed it). Hope y’all like itBC9B96AF-59AC-448F-9138-6DBA90A66C8A.thumb.jpeg.7998988ba26fa9dfd8bd099bc61e7363.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 2

• 3 weeks later...

FA014A87-05C4-40AD-A057-07453F2BAECC.thumb.jpeg.b33ce4d4f44f4d7c6197991c29df9a9e.jpeg

took a long time but I wanted it to be the right size, a 1 meter long eoraptor, I will continue to draw more Triassic animals because it’s just a crazy period

Here’s a quick one, a normal scotch tape dispenser is the perfect shape for an ammonite,

66D8CDFD-8A2B-43FE-AC32-D94B056250B6.thumb.jpeg.2e39eecd0b63669ca3752d40e6db4b27.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10
  • Enjoyed 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly a drawing but still thought it was worth sharing. I have a flexicalymene trilobite from Ohio that I bought a long time ago. With clay I made a mold and then waited about 9 hours for it to dry. Then I got more clay and filled it in the mold, took it out and waited for that to dry, (all this was yesterday) and then today I painted it with acrylic paint and now it is finished. I will also say I am NOT making this so I can sell it as being real, just for my own enjoyment :)

95EBD6E0-6596-4455-98FE-AD48FF89F311.thumb.jpeg.292b89e82186088669a46fd5cf1fd927.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

• 2 weeks later...

here’s the nearest clay creations,

two more flexicalymene trilobites, a leonaspis trilobite, a “waliserops” that is actually just a flexicalymene with a trident, an ammonite and an otodus tooth. I recently bought the angustidens and chub tooth but I don’t have an American otodus tooth and the color difference took way away from the evolution so I made it look like it’s from south east USA5DEC0B31-17ED-4B8D-822A-01D7264AD119.thumb.jpeg.8eb9dddec5d38c78a9b646c13fbbf76b.jpeg

Cropped and brightened: 

5DEC0B31-17ED-4B8D-822A-01D7264AD119.jpeg.58700d89252337310c415202883daa70.jpeg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Thanks Tim my photography abilities are very limited

Good work! I would say the Flexi would be better without the Walli trident. :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 2 weeks later...

My most recent drawing, an Asaphus latus trilobite. Drew the awesome one @Kane recently prepped.

247AE96E-896F-4B3B-8D7C-B4AF06E8156E.thumb.jpeg.e28df9c94e27c2c617dba5ff73734d23.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

This is one of @Huntonia preps

CABF00C9-5C20-4E86-BEF9-C87620DD115E.thumb.jpeg.664ddcfc97b94e9dabbe980d5258f6b7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

Hi Top Trilo, good drawings and nice idea with the tape dispenser.

You could combine the claycast-technique with that!

If I may offer some advice (that I often enough do not heed myself):

Be even more patient. I can see all the scales you drew on that Diplomystus and the subjective acres of surface you covered for the Eoraptor, so you got the patience.

Put the same amount of time and effort in one little Trilo and you got yourself a Top Trilo indeed!

For backgrounds like in the last picture (and bigger areas like the Eoraptor) there are also block-shaped crayons or charcoal, those can be used to make nice gradients without spending ages using up and smudging a fine pencil.

Keep going!

J

• I found this Informative 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

8 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi Top Trilo, good drawings and nice idea with the tape dispenser.

You could combine the claycast-technique with that!

If I may offer some advice (that I often enough do not heed myself):

Be even more patient. I can see all the scales you drew on that Diplomystus and the subjective acres of surface you covered for the Eoraptor, so you got the patience.

Put the same amount of time and effort in one little Trilo and you got yourself a Top Trilo indeed!

For backgrounds like in the last picture (and bigger areas like the Eoraptor) there are also block-shaped crayons or charcoal, those can be used to make nice gradients without spending ages using up and smudging a fine pencil.

Keep going!

J

Thanks a lot, I do have a few black shaped charcoal but never used them. Not sure why I am only paitent on some but the next one I do will be great, just may take a while, thanks again for the help it is appreciated 

On 05/01/2021 at 6:43 PM, Top Trilo said:

Not exactly a drawing but still thought it was worth sharing. I have a flexicalymene trilobite from Ohio that I bought a long time ago. With clay I made a mold and then waited about 9 hours for it to dry. Then I got more clay and filled it in the mold, took it out and waited for that to dry, (all this was yesterday) and then today I painted it with acrylic paint and now it is finished. I will also say I am NOT making this so I can sell it as being real, just for my own enjoyment :)

95EBD6E0-6596-4455-98FE-AD48FF89F311.thumb.jpeg.292b89e82186088669a46fd5cf1fd927.jpeg

That's awesome! Keep up the good work, that's very impressive.

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

I just discovered this thread. @Top Trilo you are an artist. Also, I see you changed your profile picture. Just didn't want you to think it went unnoticed.

2 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I just discovered this thread. @Top Trilo you are an artist. Also, I see you changed your profile picture. Just didn't want you to think it went unnoticed.

Thank you, I didn't want it to be too much of a change so I kept the same species but my old image I just got online but this one I have in my collection

Thank you to @Mahnmut, I took your advice and am very happy with the result, here is the dicranurus top Trilo (same one as my profile picture)

ADC6C803-DA29-4E7B-B426-B8DF4B618C16.thumb.jpeg.66c48a1ded44e83f1df8a8a84937447d.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2