Brondonh

Hello I was wondering if anyone knew the species of this sand dollar. It's quite large 7.26x6.98" .

I can't seem to find a match online that is this size and wanted to be certain they species so I can put on display correctly.

It was found in North Port Florida from a lake that was being dug and because it being 20' below and finding Megalodon teeth around it I'm guessing it's from the Miocene to Pliocene Epoch.

Any info or links would be most appreciated

Brandon

IMG_20201113_084938402.jpg

IMG_20201113_085008485.jpg

IMG_20201113_085022919.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Did you collect it yourself or purchase?  Was it collected in-situ or float? The reason I ask is that it appears to be Encope michelini which is reported no later than Lower Pleistocene.  As you state correctly, the meg teeth would suggest Mio-Pliocene, however if those teeth are found loose and whole, then the echinoid could come from cap rock over the tooth layer.  

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

Did you collect it yourself or purchase?  Was it collected in-situ or float? The reason I ask is that it appears to be Encope michelini which is reported no later than Lower Pleistocene.  As you state correctly, the meg teeth would suggest Mio-Pliocene, however if those teeth are found loose and whole, then the echinoid could come from cap rock over the tooth layer.  

Mike

Thanks for the rey Mike.

Yes, I found it myself. The sediment it is in cased in comes from a thick layer of scallop molds and castings that I have found many common sharks teeth and a couple Megalodons in one 4". This is the only sand dollar I have found in them. I will attach a photo of what I'm talking about. It's quit a beautiful formation. The bottom layer closest to water is what I'm talking about. I'm not for certain the exact age of them it is a guess.

Screenshot_20201113-114612.png

Screenshot_20201113-114638.png

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 10:10 AM, MikeR said:

Mike

I just came across a new bulletin from FLMNH Vol. 57 no.3 LINK The Neogene Echinoids of Florida in which the authors list Encope michelini within the Tamiami Formation, so I stand corrected.  I guess these updates have yet to make it to the FLMNH db that lists all specimens of E. michelini from the Pleistocene.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain