very different fossil? rock, trying to identify using methods learned here

Ramona

This rock (fossil, I think?) was found in Franklin County, Alabama, near Lost Creek. I have studied it and worked on trying to identify it using the methods I have learned here. I can see where it has areas that have crystallized or silicized? There appear to be some parts that have sections to them, which leads me to wonder about coral, but it also has a bony appearance to it.  Some of the edges almost look like a mussel or something like that, though... The underside is bumpy, but I am not seeing recognizable bryozoan fossils there? Maybe I just don't recognize them?  I think it's a gorgeous rock - the colors and the crystalization in it - but in the end I have no clue what it is... If I were to hazard a guess it would be at least part coral (the sections)? I beg your patience and ask your indulgence on this one... Input greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

Ramona

IMG_2388edit.jpg

IMG_2395edit.jpg

IMG_2396edit.jpg

Hi Ramona,

This appears only geologic to me. I don't see anything resembling a fossil. It is a very pretty crystalline specimen though.

• I found this Informative 2

Most people walk near the waters edge as they stroll along the beach looking for pretty shells. This could be the smelly gunk in the bog just out of site over the berm. :)

hello Ramona,

The little bumps on the underside may be crystals covered in another layer, that kind of thing can resemble the regularity of fossil corals or bryozoa.

Maybe there are fossil remnants in there, but cristalization and erosion of the whole stone make it difficult to tell.

it looks like the kind of stone that underwent some reshaping, thus making possible fossils hard to identify.

Nice one though!

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

10 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Hi Ramona,

This appears only geologic to me. I don't see anything resembling a fossil. It is a very pretty crystalline specimen though.

9 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Most people walk near the waters edge as they stroll along the beach looking for pretty shells. This could be the smelly gunk in the bog just out of site over the berm. :)

4 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

hello Ramona,

The little bumps on the underside may be crystals covered in another layer, that kind of thing can resemble the regularity of fossil corals or bryozoa.

Maybe there are fossil remnants in there, but cristalization and erosion of the whole stone make it difficult to tell.

it looks like the kind of stone that underwent some reshaping, thus making possible fossils hard to identify.

Nice one though!

Best Regards,

J

OK, then I don't feel quite so bad about not being able to identify the fossils, then, LOL!!  I thought it was a gorgeous rock with the crystalized areas in it, but I am so used to finding rocks with fossils in my yard that I wasn't sure how to find a rock without a fossil in it!  "Smelly gunk in the bog just out of site over the berm" I will call it, then! Thanks so much for your help!! 

6 minutes ago, Ramona said:

"Smelly gunk in the bog just out of site over the berm" I will call it, then!

Just don't take it too literally. There is no indication that was the environment. Just sort of the feel that degraded storm debris build up has. :)