Mike from North Queensland

Hi all I found this little specimen a while back back and have a tenatave Id for the specimen I am still open to other options as to what the fossil may be.

This specimen was found in the marine enviroment of the toolebuc formation in central Queensland.This formation is cretaceous aged about 100 millions years. 

In this enviroment I have found - ichthyosaur, pliosaur, turtle, shark, fish, bird, pterosaur so the posibilities are there.

I have held back on the tenatave ID so as not to push in any direction and to allow alternate sugestions.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

20201013_185101 (2).jpg

20201013_185201 (2).jpg

20201013_185219 (2).jpg

Additional photos of same specimen.

scale in background is in metric so specimen is about 50 mm long so not large.

Mike

20201013_185238 (2).jpg

20201013_185254 (2).jpg

20201013_185320 (2).jpg

It does appear to be one knob over the chunk-o-saur state. And the homogenous nature of the texture is much like what would be expected of a vertebra.

15 hours ago, Lorne Ledger said:

It looks like bone and has some diagnostic features.  Gonna guess Crocodile vert partial.

It is definantly not a vert of any type but does have a ball joint protruding from one section, that made me think cranal element at back of skull for jaw piviot.

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It does appear to be one knob over the chunk-o-saur state. And the homogenous nature of the texture is much like what would be expected of a vertebra.

Actually the specimen is mostely there but unfortunately when prepping from the host matrix  one area was degraded so too soft to save and another section from the other extremity was missing exposing the only piece indicating there was even bone in that chunk of matrix. 

It has been sugested from viewing the photos the bone is possibly a syncarpal from a pterosaur.

The description works compared to a couple of photos found on the net.

the bone texture is not what I would expect from a pterosaur but it may be because it is only a small bone from the wing and requires extra internal structure due to required pressures.

Any ideas

Mike

• 1 month later...

The bone has been identified as a pterosaur syncarpal

Mike

• I found this Informative 1