FossilNerd

I’ve recently moved... again... Not to worry. I didn’t go far, and will still be hunting and posting fossils from the same areas. ;) 

One of the allures of moving (for me at least) was the possibility of having my own fossil room. The new house has a spare bedroom in the basement that isn’t needed. So... after a lot of sweet talk, and promises of future home renovations, I was able to convince my wife to let me commandeer it!

Here is my new Fossil Cave! :raindance:

CE2D83ED-BAFD-4C54-9570-02AE424CCEEC.thumb.jpeg.49ad97f82d4bf63fbbf6fd77c6aa8ab1.jpeg

61FA9DE5-0486-45D1-ADB8-EB3D1BAFC4E9.thumb.jpeg.fc1e742eb481a4a49ce303898a7f514c.jpeg

656A66FC-33CC-436B-BE27-270A72D08C73.thumb.jpeg.cc8c00bd38c6bb95f4a7b1a0efb8f197.jpeg

1006FDA4-BA51-4D91-B2ED-C48233C5CE6A.thumb.jpeg.af3827c7e2b3a93a37b064a4d29746f9.jpeg

I was inspired to share my Fossil Cave because of Candace’s ( @thelivingdead531 ) post about her own awesome fossil room. Check it out here:

• I found this Informative 17

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

That is AWESOME! 

Great Fossil Cave, Wayne! :) 

:Smiling:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Excellent set up and displays.  I notice that there is a bunch of empty space for future finds.  Thumbs up emoji.  When we moved, I was able to commandeer the garage, but I have to scrape the ice and snow off of my wife's car all winter.  That was the trade.

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

That is AWESOME! 

Great Fossil Cave, Wayne! :) 

:Smiling:

6 hours ago, connorp said:

Very nice room :tiphat:I appreciate you posting this, I always love seeing how others display their collections.

5 hours ago, Randyw said:

Nice looking room!

Thanks guys! It’s not much, but it’s mine. I had a designated corner of the basement at my previous house, but it was out in the open. Having walls and doors (this room has 2 doors for some odd reason...) is great. It keeps the kids and their wandering fingers away and gives me a bit of privacy. Peace and quiet is hard to come by some days. Go away kids Daddy is playing! **sound of lock clicking** Haha! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

5 hours ago, jpc said:

Excellent set up and displays.  I notice that there is a bunch of empty space for future finds.  Thumbs up emoji.  When we moved, I was able to commandeer the garage, but I have to scrape the ice and snow off of my wife's car all winter.  That was the trade.

Yep. There is plenty of room for future expansion. :)

Those old glass display cases hold a lot. It takes a fair amount of brachiopod sized fossils to fill it up! The black shelf on the wall has some things to go on it too, but the bottom is thin metal mesh and flexes with any weight. I need to modify it to work for my purposes.

Everything was hastily displayed as I wanted to just get it out of the boxes. A bit of rearranging will be in order, but I’ll do that this winter. Luckily the glass cabinets are on furniture slider pads. I can easily pull them away from the wall for quick access.

You have a fossil garage?! Awesome! Although, I don’t know if scraping ice and snow was a fair trade or not... I hear ya’ll get a LOT of the white stuff up there in Wyoming! :P

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Nice cave.  I can only wish my cave was as orginized and clean as yours.  :)

RB

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Very nice. It is conspicuously clean, something a few of us may never attain!

It’s only clean because it’s fresh and new. ;)
I spent the last several early mornings and late nights cataloguing and putting away multiple trip hordes that cluttered the floor. Some things were purposefully moved out of camera shot as well. :TongueOut:

I give it a week tops before I turn the place upside down!

It's new. 

It'll soon get messy, dirty and dusty. :P

Nice one, Wayne, it looks great; workshop, museum, library and place away from it all to relax.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It looks great! I love your glass display cases, and the art work on your walls really brings everything together! It looks like a very relaxing space to get away from the world for a bit. I’m really glad you shared it with us, I love to see fossil rooms and spaces!

8 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

You have a fossil garage?! Awesome! Although, I don’t know if scraping ice and snow was a fair trade or not... I hear ya’ll get a LOT of the white stuff up there in Wyoming! :P

My wife is from the south.  She is not a fan of snow and ice and cold, so it was an easy sell.  The tough part was convincing her that cars are built to withstand weather and no one should have a car in their garage.   : )  (I also warm up the car for her when it get nasty cold).

• I found this Informative 3

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's new. 

It'll soon get messy, dirty and dusty. :P

Nice one, Wayne, it looks great; workshop, museum, library and place away from it all to relax.:)

10 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Great job Wayne. Very neat and attractive. My work table is a super mess compared to yours. 

Thanks guys! I’m sure it will be a proper mess sooner rather than later!

9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks real homey! Isn't that a great feeling having your own realm? :)

It is a good feeling! I’ve wanted, no needed, my own space for a while. It’s great to finally have it.

Now if I can make room for a decent prep lab in the shed, I will be all set!

7 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

It looks great! I love your glass display cases, and the art work on your walls really brings everything together! It looks like a very relaxing space to get away from the world for a bit. I’m really glad you shared it with us, I love to see fossil rooms and spaces!

Thanks! I like your space a lot as well. :) 

I’ve had the glass cases for a while. I purchased them from a local store that was replacing these old ones with new models. I got a great deal as the store owner just wanted to get rid of them.

All the posters on the wall are informative reference type. A geological map of Kentucky. A couple of old school posters like you would see in a science class with general fossil information on them. Then a tree of life, and a poster regarding the geological eras. 

The small frames are all ID plates that I printed from various scientific papers. All things that can be found in the area. Not as cool as prints from @Bobby Rico, but I like them. Besides, if I get tired of one I’ll just print something new and swap it out. Cheap and easy! :) 

5 hours ago, jpc said:

My wife is from the south.  She is not a fan of snow and ice and cold, so it was an easy sell.  The tough part was convincing her that cars are built to withstand weather and no one should have a car in their garage.   : )  (I also warm up the car for her when it get nasty cold).

I can sympathize with not being a fan of the snow and cold! I’m like an old grizzly and go into hibernation during the winter. Although I too scrape the snow and ice from the vehicles form my wife, but I don’t have to like it! 

16 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

The small frames are all ID plates that I printed from various scientific papers. All things that can be found in the area. Not as cool as prints from @Bobby Rico, but I like them. Besides, if I get tired of one I’ll just print something new and swap it out. Cheap and easy!

I send you a print for your cave of your choice but it be next year because I need to get more Japanese block printing paper.  Let me know that you like. :thumbsu:

30 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I send you a print for your cave of your choice but it be next year because I need to get more Japanese block printing paper.  Let me know that you like. :thumbsu:

That’s very kind of you Bobby! PM incoming. 

Very nice setup. I'm always tempted to buy cases like those when I see a store going out of business, but unfortunately the glass is never in good condition.

2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Thanks! I like your space a lot as well. :) 

I’ve had the glass cases for a while. I purchased them from a local store that was replacing these old ones with new models. I got a great deal as the store owner just wanted to get rid of them.

All the posters on the wall are informative reference type. A geological map of Kentucky. A couple of old school posters like you would see in a science class with general fossil information on them. Then a tree of life, and a poster regarding the geological eras. 

The small frames are all ID plates that I printed from various scientific papers. All things that can be found in the area. Not as cool as prints from @Bobby Rico, but I like them. Besides, if I get tired of one I’ll just print something new and swap it out. Cheap and easy! :) 

I really like how you tied the geology and paleontology of your region into your room with the posters and pictures. It came together really well. I have a geologic map of England that I got from the University of Cambridge but I ran out of wall space in my fossil room so it’s in my bedroom. I hope you get your prep lab soon! It looks like you’re off to a great start as it is. :Smiling:

17 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

Your man cave fossil room looks so nice and orderly. I can't even keep my little nook well.

IMG_2558.JPG

That looks quite nice to me. Those eurypterids, and that Trimerus! :drool: I got a new desk just a few weeks back and you can hardly see the surface of it anymore :default_faint: