Fish scale?

MrBones

Hello, 

I found this fossil a while ago in Ruwais, Abu Dhabi, UAE (United Arab Emirates). I have found many catfish barbs in that area, as well as crocodile fossils, so I am relatively sure that this is a fish scale, however, I cannot find any references online, so I don't know what this scale belongs to. It's attached to a larger piece of bone. (About 1cm in diameter)

fish scale fossil.jpg

Hi MrBones,

Beautiful fossil! Is the scale 1 cm, or the piece it is attached to?

the parallel structures at the upper margin make me think it could be a ctenoid scale, which seems to be typical for geologically younger species (talking about fish, this can mean quite old anyway.) But I am no expert, its just an impression of similarity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_scale#Ctenoid_scales

Best regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

8 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi MrBones,

Beautiful fossil! Is the scale 1 cm, or the piece it is attached to?

the parallel structures at the upper margin make me think it could be a ctenoid scale, which seems to be typical for geologically younger species (talking about fish, this can mean quite old anyway.) But I am no expert, its just an impression of similarity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_scale#Ctenoid_scales

Best regards,

J

This looks very similar! I have seen gobies here before while snorkeling, but they seem a little bit small. Could well be a perch. Apologies, the scale is about 1cm, the bone is much larger.