Specimen Repair?

Barrelcactusaddict

I was wondering if someone could advise me on whether or not I should repair this piece of Chiapas amber I recently acquired (it's a clean break with only a few small slivers missing; the specimen is exceptionally clear, and has no internal fractures); it was damaged during shipping, and I've been debating whether or not to repair it. What effect might a repair have on it's value, and would it be more acceptable to keep it as two separate pieces?

I know the repair of fossil specimens is a generally acceptable practice, but I'm uncertain if this applies to amber (I'm guessing not, as amber considered more of a gem material). I occasionally repair amber damaged during the cleaning and lapidary process using epoxy resin, but I was reluctant to do this to such a decently-sized and costly specimen of Chiapas material without having sought further advice.

Thank you!

SAM_2225.JPG

Can we see a picture of the parts separate?

I would need to know what the broken side looks like and the amount of pieces. If you want to put it back together I would try on a small piece to see if there are any unwanted effects. However we can not give value here, not that I would know value of whole repaired amber versus separate parts anyway

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I would leave it as is. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

14 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I would leave it as is. 

Agreed. Amber restoration falls into the category of "Dont try this at home" as specialized equipment is required. truthfully, a real jeweler may be able to help you out for a fee, but most are not equipped for it.

Thanks!

I'll take some pics of the two pieces separate; I'll see if I can add some pics of a piece of red-skinned dominican amber I repaired several months back using epoxy resin, too.

I had received advice on what to use to repair amber long ago, and apparently cyanoacrylate glue is commonly used (though I'm guessing it's more suitable for the translucent to opaque varieties); I opted for epoxy resin glue, as it turns out its refractive index is very close (1.50-1.56) to that of amber (1.539-1.545): I've actually had a lot of success with it. Aside from a slightly reflective surface under extreme light at just the right angle, it's actually invisible.

I'm mainly concerned about what effect repairs may have on value (nothing specific, just if it'd detract or not).

8 hours ago, Barrelcactusaddict said:

I'm mainly concerned about what effect repairs may have on value (nothing specific, just if it'd detract or not).

And unfortunately that's the part we can't discuss on here. Good Luck

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

3 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

And unfortunately that's the part we can't discuss on here. Good Luck

Thank you.

Here are several images:the Chiapas material has a fracture that is slightly convex/concave, and only a small portion on the upper end is hackly; in the 3rd image, in the dead center, you can see two longitudinal lines outlining the plane of the fracture I repaired (I didn't bother to sand them down far enough, otherwise they'd be invisible); the 4th and 5th are images of a piece that I didn't attempt to repair (I wish I had), but polished separately.

I understand that appraisals are not appropriate here, I'm just curious if repairing amber specimens is considered an acceptable practice; similar to the situation of prepping a complex trilobite specimen, and a genal spine fractures clean off (is it kosher to glue that piece back in place)?

I guess I can safely assume that repairing a specimen hurts it's value, then...

SAM_2238.JPG

SAM_2240.JPG

SAM_2244.JPG

SAM_2246.JPG

SAM_2248.JPG

12 minutes ago, Barrelcactusaddict said:

I understand that appraisals are not appropriate here, I'm just curious if repairing amber specimens is considered an acceptable practice; similar to the situation of prepping a complex trilobite specimen, and a genal spine fractures clean off (is it kosher to glue that piece back in place)?

With fossils at least for me, I don't mind repairs as much because they are just fixing it, unlike restoration.

Also, I've noticed I'm unable to upload any Gallery Images: I'm guessing I need a reputation of over 100, 200 points, maybe an account older than a couple years, etc.? It looks like I might just need to just stick to Mindat.

My friend BCAddict,

I believe you are sweating this decision way too much. :headscratch:   Let me see if I can provide you a little relief - - without discussing comparative values.  :rolleyes:

From my perspective as someone wanting to acquire amber (which I indeed do from time to time), I'd far prefer purchasing two pieces of amber that used to be one, than one piece that had been broken and repaired.  Also, from the perspective of someone wanting amber for lapidary purposes, the two pieces would be preferred over the repaired piece.  Thirdly, if you leave your specimen as two pieces, you still leave open the option of repairing it at some time in the future, should you then decide to do so.  If you repair it and in the future decide you made a mistake, you have to worry about restoring the two pieces to the same condition that they are in now.  :shakehead:

Long story short, why sweat it?  Don't repair the specimen.  If you change your mind in the future, nothing lost in the way of options.

Now, go buy a special barrel cactus and send us some photos.  :D

1 minute ago, Top Trilo said:

With fossils at least for me, I don't mind repairs as much because they are just fixing it, unlike restoration.

Yes, that's true; restoring a specimen is a whole different ball game.

1 minute ago, grandpa said:

My friend BCAddict,

I believe you are sweating this decision way too much. :headscratch:   Let me see if I can provide you a little relief - - without discussing comparative values.  :rolleyes:

From my perspective as someone wanting to acquire amber (which I indeed do from time to time), I'd far prefer purchasing two pieces of amber that used to be one, than one piece that had been broken and repaired.  Also, from the perspective of someone wanting amber for lapidary purposes, the two pieces would be preferred over the repaired piece.  Thirdly, if you leave your specimen as two pieces, you still leave open the option of repairing it at some time in the future, should you then decide to do so.  If you repair it and in the future decide you made a mistake, you have to worry about restoring the two pieces to the same condition that they are in now.  :shakehead:

Long story short, why sweat it?  Don't repair the specimen.  If you change your mind in the future, nothing lost in the way of options.

Now, go buy a special barrel cactus and send us some photos.  :D

Thank you, that does help; I suppose that a flat, polished lateral view of the piece(s) would be advantageous. There does seem to be a dark inclusion on the larger half near the surface: it probably would help to have a different angle of view. I guess I just don't like leaving things broken, when I know they were whole.

Although it wouldn't be relevant, I would love to get my hands on a Ferocactus latispinus and share some colorful images of that... it's my favorite species of Ferocactus, and I have yet to get one.

• 11 months later...

It's been nearly a year, but I finally obtained a rare subspecies (subsp. spiralis) of F. latispinus this summer! It is about 45mm in diameter. Here are a couple good images:

5730B985-09FE-425E-8AE6-A8FF4F9383A4.jpeg

EFEFF1CE-2639-4E0C-B2B4-B3E2540923AF.jpeg

Edited by Barrelcactusaddict