Troodon

The sale of the Dueling Dinosaurs has been made public.  The North Carolina Museum of Natural History is the proud new owner.

https://www.wral.com/nc-museum-of-natural-sciences-unveils-worlds-first-complete-t-rex/19388011/

Edit:  added link to NCNHM announcement 

https://duelingdinosaurs.org/

Edit:

National Geo:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/11/dueling-dinosaurs-fossil-finally-set-to-reveal-secrets/

• I found this Informative 15

Some positive news for 2020, even though we lost Stan, I am happy that scientist & the public finally have access to this specimen :) 

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

It's great news :yay-smiley-1: that the dueling dinos will be going to a museum where they can contribute to science as well as stimulate the public's interest in paleontology (well, vertebrate paleontology at least).

The news article has a couple of weird comments.  What the heck are "life-sized dinosaurs"?

As far as I am aware, we don't know who bought Stan, so we don't know if we have "lost" him.  Maybe he will show up in a museum somewhere?  Or maybe I missed some news about the sale?

Don

14 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

The news article has a couple of weird comments.  What the heck are "life-sized dinosaurs"?

As far as I am aware, we don't know who bought Stan, so we don't know if we have "lost" him.  Maybe he will show up in a museum somewhere?  Or maybe I missed some news about the sale?

Don

The purchaser of Stan is still a mystery.   Hard to keep that quiet for long.  Hard to hide it.

"Life size dinosaur" guess they are not planning to shrink them :oO: 

Added a couple of newer links

• I found this Informative 1

I was just about to share it until I saw this.  Finally the specimen is in museum hands it can be researched and might clear up once and for all the Nano debate!

• I found this Informative 1

Wow!  Interesting that the story calls it a Tyrannosaurus rex.  So, the folks in NC who will be studying it already know it is not a Nanotyrannus....  But wait! Paleontologists have been saying for ten years... "this specimen will settle the debate", and now these folks are settling it before it is settled.  Eye-roll emoji.  The same goes for the "Triceratops"

I look forward to seeing it... my in-laws live in NC, so there will be trips thataway.  

• I found this Informative 2

Maybe once Covid loosens it's grip on us all, we can organize a group trip to see the exhibit.  We have quite a few members who live within driving distance, and we could time it to include visitors from afar (such as Wyoming).

Don

Well then. My significant other lives in SC; so looks like I have a great new reason to plan out a roadtrip for us to take in 2022 once they're on display.

What will settle the debate is when a juvenile Trex is discovered and it turns out to look like its parents.  This Museum has already drawn its conclusion and the publicity tells you where its landed.  Unfortunately its not about science but $$$$.

The Ceratopsian is very cool completely lacking horns. Looks like a Pachyrhinosaurus but definitely different.   One Ceratopsian paleontologist that looked at it concluded it was a very old Trike.    The museum may be more open minded on this one especially if its a new species 

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

What will settle the debate is when a juvenile Trex is discovered and it turns out to look like its parents.  This Museum has already drawn its conclusion and the publicity tells you where its landed.  Unfortunately its not about science but $$$$.

Aw, that's a shame. I saw some of the museum's promo material and the do seem to be pushing that it is the "first 100% complete Tyrannosaurus rex  specimen." 

29 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Aw, that's a shame. I saw some of the museum's promo material and the do seem to be pushing that it is the "first 100% complete Tyrannosaurus rex  specimen." 

Here is their speech.  They have made up their mind.  This is a snarge shame.  An excellent opportunity to show how science works and they are calling it a t rex from the gitgo.  

Not that they invited me, but this is what I would have used as a selling point:

"This is an amazing and incredible specimen.  It will help us answer one of the most debated questions in dinosaur paleontology.... Is Nanotyrannus a juvie rex or not?  We will do amazing research and get back to you all in a few years... meanwhile come on down and look at this stuff... It is very cool."

There was not even a mention of the debate... shame.  

Here is the museum announcement.

• I found this Informative 3

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

This Museum has already drawn its conclusion and the publicity tells you where its landed.

2 hours ago, Praefectus said:

I saw some of the museum's promo material and the do seem to be pushing that it is the "first 100% complete Tyrannosaurus rex  specimen." 

1 hour ago, jpc said:

They have made up their mind. 

Yes, seems that's how it's being publicized, but on the exhibit page they also say under mysteries: "Is this an adolescent Tyrannosaurus rex or is Nanotyrannus a valid species?" While they may be touting it as a T. rex, it appears that this is a question they want to answer (though I agree, they aren't making much of an effort to highlight that question). I think they're using recent papers that refute Nano, along with apparent/public consensus among experts, as a way to take advantage of "T. rex hype," but also be in-line with the most recent findings. Maybe I'm being too optimistic. Dr. Lindsay Zanno also responded to someone on Twitter asking if the tyrannosaur was a juvie rex, "best science right now says yes, but of course we will apply new data to the question as is the scientific way! Stay tuned!"

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff