Invertebrates from the Miocene of Maryland and Virginia

MarcoSr

I’m posting some invertebrates that I collected in the 1970s from the Miocene of Maryland and Virginia.  If I had continued to collect invertebrates from the Miocene of Maryland and Virginia I would have many thousands of specimens.  However, after I found my first few shark teeth, my interests shifted to vertebrate fossils.  You can see in the below picture lots of coral like Astrhelia palmata , barnacles (Balanus concavus), Murex Snail shells (like the Maryland State Fossil Ecphora gardnerae gardnerae),  Turret Snail shells (Turritella plebeian), Bittersweet Clam shells (Glycymeris parilis), Moon Snail shells (Polynices duplicatus and Lunatia heros), Scallop shells ( like Chesapecten nefrens), Quahog shells (Mercenaria sp.), Pearl Oyster shells (Isognomon maxillata), an Ark Clam shell (Dallarca idonea), and a Geoduck shell (Panopea americana).  I used the below Calvert Marine Museum PDF (which used Clark, W.B., et al., 1904, Miocene Plates, Maryland Geological Survey, Baltimore, MD) for the identifications.  I pretty much have all of the species from the CMM PDF. I have sand dollar pieces and a good many crab claws stored elsewhere.  The only thing that I don’t ever remember finding is a Heart Urchin (Echinocardium sp.).

5fb4146545b3c_InvertebratesMioceneMDVA.thumb.jpg.0a794a2e90fbb1b53bd4965932dd4a1a.jpg

image.thumb.png.b6ba7e6a75206d3935aeacc862ea5b5b.pngimage.thumb.png.4ce177f22e6e76fea36632db52e75376.png

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 10

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png