POROUS PATTERN WITH CONE SHAPED CORE

nikkisixx

Found in my backyard in southern california.

Hard to get a good pic of it, but the center of it is a cone shape. Circular and wide at the top, with the pointy part towards the inner/center.

20201117_131342.jpg

20201117_130349.jpg

20201117_131041.jpg

7 minutes ago, 10313horn said:

it looks like bone to me as well.  Next question is it a fossil or more recent.  A burn test will answer that.

Quite true. Modern bone seems unlikely to end up shaped like this however.

• I found this Informative 1

the darker area makes me think of the presence of biological material which is why I suggested a burn test.  That and the fact that it isnt going to harm a fossil makes it seem reasonable to me.  I had not really thought about how you would get that shaped chunk in a recent bone-- maybe chew toy ??

• I found this Informative 2

I held it exactly like this with the flame to the corner, it burned the porous part and there was a very light scent. But really, really light, and had to be tested twice to be sure it was a burning hair smell, and not just the dirt I was probably inhaling from having to put it directly to my nose to catch any scent. But it didn't char, or seem to change the integrity of the bone. Just the color.

20201118_140013.jpg

On 11/17/2020 at 4:17 PM, Rockwood said:

Chunkosaur ! Piece of fossil bone. :)

I disagree. It's Chiplodocus. ;)

A true fossil does not char or smell.  . Is there something in between fossil and fresh maybe.    I have a bone from Nebraska that is very heavy,  but  didnt  pass the burn test  light char, light smell-- from my gas stove I am keeping it hoping that it is very late pleistocene bone and partially fossilized.  It isn't in my display case , but not in the garage junk pile either.

IMG_0583.jpg

1 hour ago, 10313horn said:

A true fossil does not char or smell.

There are exceptions, and the smell can take a bit of tuning.

I'd keep it. :)

You might try a tap test. Tap it lightly with a spoon. The pitch of the sound it makes will either match that made by a stone or a modern bone.

You can experiment to get your ear tuned in.