Fossil Fishy's of Lebanon Thread

RJB

21 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

That is a cool fish! Can't wait to see it after you work your magic.

If you do show up for a visit you can see it first hand.

RB

Beside doing a big of work on the Ray above and some on one of the fishes my youngest son purchaced, I also started on this Libanopristis.  Very very disapointed to find a broken tail.  Not the end of the world, plus the snout end looks like it may come out really nice?!!!

RB

P5080019.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

I  got another 8 hours into this.  Starting to look like something and its a ton easier than the last one!!!  I  dought I will ever finish the last one but this one looks very doable. 

RB

P5150024.JPG

• Enjoyed 7

Great stuff! Do you reckon it would be worth removing the surrounding rock and setting it in a nicer base?

I love these Lebanese fish. I have a few smaller ones and that rock is much harder than the Green River formation. Did the first guy you bought from make things right?

21 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Great stuff! Do you reckon it would be worth removing the surrounding rock and setting it in a nicer base?

If I dont sell it, it will have a french cleat and hang on the wall.

21 hours ago, Scylla said:

Did the first guy you bought from make things right?

Still the first guy and he did give me a better price on these last two. 

RB

• Thank You 1

Another 9 hours or so and now you can see most of the head stuff.  Most of these you see along with all the guitar fish are split fish and have no headbones.  I should stop calling them bones when they are actually fossilized cartilage.  I also put more work into the tail end and the bill.  Im a bit scared to exspose the rostral teeth but will attack those later.  Some of the rock on this fish is soooooooo sticky it really messes things up but you have to work with what mother nature gives you.  Once I  get all the outline of this fish done I will do a little bit of air abrasive work oncrtain parts where this is a light colored film that Im sure I can remove and expose the real color and then I can do crack repair.  A ways still to go but getting there.

RB

P5170025.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

• 2 weeks later...

Besides having to put on the french cleat and do a bit of scrubbing to clean up this rock, its about done.  Both before and after photos so you can see the difference. 

RB

Ray1A.JPG

Ray1B.JPG

• Enjoyed 8

Great Job, Ron! 

Love it! 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! that looks amazing! :default_clap2:

You did a fine job Ron!

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • Thank You 1

Excellent job, I like the association with the small fish and shrimp too.

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Ok, the ray is not quite done, but I did get a french cleat onto the back of it today.  When i  get back from my trip Im going to add some more 2 part epoxy to finish that up.  Almost ready to hang. 

RB

Ray1C.JPG

Ive been working off and on and this Libanopristis is actually getting done!  Still got a ways to go but im becoming quite happy with it, despite all its problems. 

RB

You can see here that the back end is just about ready for cleaning up the edges of the fish.  I  still have at least one more prep session to clean up the head part and finish around the teeth.  Sad thing is, the left side is missing a lot of its teeth. 

P6020032.JPG.6dc7dd7bea8f49001fbe4dc36cdfc7e2.JPG

Once I get this fish put back together, (the two different pieces), I am going to do a tad bit of repair and a bit of acrylic work. 

P6020033.JPG.f6d7516aff600f3b2b926ca705b4b45e.JPG

At least the tail end is there but its rather disarticulated and beat up.  Im about to cry now.  anybody want to come over and hold me.  Ha!  :)

P6020034.JPG.7cc65f62ac1e6c8dd7f0d043938eb353.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

On 6/2/2021 at 11:32 AM, RJB said:

At least the tail end is there but its rather disarticulated and beat up.  Im about to cry now.  anybody want to come over and hold me.  Ha! 

If it hurts that much I am will to take it so you don't have to look at it :thumbsu:

2 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

If it hurts that much I am will to take it so you don't have to look at it 

Thanks man, you are too kind.  :)

RB

15 hours ago, RJB said:

Thanks man, you are too kind.  :)

RB

With my last name I kinda have to be :default_rofl:  :DOH:

• Enjoyed 1

• 1 month later...

Aaaaalrighty then.   Im not near as busy as I used to but I still get out to the garage about 2 days a week and about 3 to 4 hours per prep session.   Ive got several prep projects going with lebonese fossil fish and all in different stages of prep.  Some are in the stages of gluing onto a backer board.  I recently started and finished a little fish called a Coccotus.  Not sure if I spelled that right?  These fish are found in a limestone called Lagerstatten and 98 million years old.   For me, its not the best but after looking at many images of this species, its up there with the best? 

This is how I received it in the mail.

C001A.thumb.JPG.2303d59facd95ae57a4885d5541919ac.JPG

Almost 12 hours of work and even exposed a little shrimp.

C001B.thumb.JPG.240f47569c0a494e93f0ae14b63a5b8b.JPG

• Enjoyed 8

Wow, amazing prep-work! That is a beautiful fish. 

• Thank You 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

:wub: :wub: :wub:

BTW "Lagerstatten" is not the name of the limestone or the formation, it is a term for a fossil deposit that preserves essentially the entire community and has exceptional preservation.  The Burgess shale would be an example of a "Lagerstatten".

Don

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

BTW "Lagerstatten" is not the name of the limestone or the formation, it is a term for a fossil deposit that preserves essentially the entire community and has exceptional preservation.  The Burgess shale would be an example of a "Lagerstatten".

Don

Thanks Don,  Nice to learn.   Would the Green River Formation be a 'Lagerstatten'?  Im trying to get this strait so I dont sound so ignorant next time. 

RB

18 minutes ago, RJB said:

Would the Green River Formation be a 'Lagerstatten'?

Yes.

There is a listing in this wikipedia entry:

Lagerstätten

Franz Bernhard