RJB

Fossil Fishy's of Lebanon Thread

FossilDAWG

I know you can make it right, but wow that hurts to see.

Don

oilshale
1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I know you can make it right, but wow that hurts to see.

Don

I agree wholeheartedly - this hurts! But I am sure you can fix it.

Seems to be either Sclerorhynchus atavus Woodward, 1889 or (more likely) Libanopritis hiram. They look quite similar. Sorry, I am not very familiar with fish from Lebanon.

https://www.biolib.cz/en/taxonimage/id276231/?taxonid=1160708

Sclerorhynchus atavus and the convergent evolution of rostrum-bearing chondrichthyans.pdf

Edited by oilshale

rfarrar

This should be Libanopristis or Micropristis. Sclerorhynchus is a little younger and is found at Sahel Alma rather than the Cenomanian of Hakel and Hajula.

I really hate to see things unnecessarily broken. It looks like it can be repaired, but it can never be the same as original.

Bob

thelivingdead531

:Horrified::s_cry: That makes me sad to see such a nice specimen broken into bits by carelessness. I know you’ll work your magic and revive it as best as you can though.

daves64

:Horrified: The horror! :Horrified: The agony! :Horrified: The utter brutality! :Horrified: Spit & bailing wire ain't gonna work on that. But you know what? I know it'll be just fine & probably won't even look like it got dinged once you're done with it. :default_clap2:

RJB

Thanks everyone.  I should have done at least a little bit of research before I posted that.  That is not Rhinobatus at all.  Im gunna hafta check out all those names and see what I come up  with.  I do thank you folks for the help.    What I started on the other day im sure is a Rhinobatus but wont know the species till its done.  This one is rather large.  At least for me.  Im not used to working on fish of this size.   I will do most of the prep first and then put it together.  Easier to work on the peices that one large piece.    And again, this fish was in 5 pieces when I purchased it and it came in 11 pieces.   Very painful and very expensive.  If the guy makes it right I will buy more, if not, he will never see me again.  My son feels the very same way.  Not good for business.

RB

Tail end in on the left.  If you look closely you can just see whats left of a penciled outline. 

DSCN0795.JPG.cdc7a5395169d15a8a980a31bef04b94.JPG

RJB

Here is my large fish, ray actually, after two prep sessions totaling about 13 hours.  A very very long ways to go!   and the farther I go towards the back of this fish, the harder the rock becomes.  And I mean HARD!!!   Ive never had this hard of rock on any fish ive ever done.  Turning into a nightmare!!!

RB

Not much for 13 hours of work, but its a start.

DSCN0799.JPG.2cfcddf773dfbcd9c39fbc19355bea46.JPG

Here you can see how im collecting some chips of rock off this slab for any rock repair down the road.

DSCN0798.JPG.2676759f5049cab8b4c85833757db4fd.JPG

Top Trilo

It'll turn out great, I love fossil rays, and live ones too.

thelivingdead531

:popcorn: Can’t wait to see it finished. 

daves64

*hands out the popcorn*

popcorn.jpg

Top Trilo

Its got a great start ;)

thelivingdead531

It’s looking great so far! Keep up the good work!

Ruger9a

Great job.  Can't wait until you finished working your magic on it!!!!

RJB

Thank you everyone.  I will be doing a few more prep sessions before I post again.  May be awhile?

RB

Ptychodus04

Those fish are a mess for sure. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon (sadly). I’m enjoying this thread immensely. 

RJB

The holidays are over and I finally made it out to the garage again.  I started working on the back end/tail end of this thing today.   The very last part of this fish is in 8 pieces and I will get to that later. 

Looks easy, but I guarantee you its extremely hard!   I did not think it possible, but this super hard rock literally beat up my Super Jack stylus!!!   Im not kidding!  Bits of steel missing from the tip!!!  A first for me.  

DSCN0843.JPG.b324b8b31496f8b01ea50f3efa0bdbd0.JPG 

What appears to be nural spines?   and Im always wanting to call this 'back bone' but should I be calling it 'back cartilage'? 

DSCN0844.JPG.9a33d2be5a1f8eacb4dec637f6c316b3.JPG

Top Trilo

Looks good! If you say it is "extremely hard" It must be almost impossible. Can't wait to see it all completed together