Another interesting beach find

beachcomber

Down again from Minnesota searching for treasures. I found this a couple days after the last storm on a shell strewn sand bar. Looks like maybe

a Dire Wolf tooth sans the root. Looking for confirmation or a id if something else. I have found walrus, ground sloth, and tapir material in the past

and another oddity would be nice to add to the collection. Thanks in advance.

1E6CE395-3C31-47EC-8753-BCF3438EF6F2.jpeg

9F011B31-7A75-4483-A3FD-FA30E2CF7544.jpeg

3BA05270-5C87-4A67-8B14-4CDDE0B21A45.jpeg

DAFF0DAF-B6F5-42E7-AC5C-8090BCE89500.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

A possibility based on size. See HarryPritis post in this thread.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks Shellseeker. I had a brain fart and forgot about UF Gainesville fossil ID service and send the picks to Dr Hulbert this morning. A quick response

was informative. It is a first lower molar from the canidae family and the most likely a dire wolf.

• I found this Informative 3

10 hours ago, beachcomber said:

Thanks Shellseeker. I had a brain fart and forgot about UF Gainesville fossil ID service and send the picks to Dr Hulbert this morning. A quick response

was informative. It is a first lower molar from the canidae family and the most likely a dire wolf.

Thanks for the update... In Florida, the choices based on size had to be either Jaguar or Dire Wolf.  Can you provide a photo of the 'root" area.  Are the roots broken off or did they never form?

WikipediaDireWolfdentition.JPG.784db0499f9f40d2b37e8738923fed85.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Good find!   Yes, agree with Dr. Hulbert, it is a left Dire Wolf M1.  Here are a right and left from my Steinhatchee River, FL collection

5fb7222ac7df8_DireWolflowerM1.jpg.f627f2f6b9f75c85dc346ab2fac615bf.jpg

A very unusual tooth.  Could it have been an enamel cap or pathological form without roots?

This tread discusses it for Mastodons.  I am not sure that the process applies to Dire wolf.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/20715-mammut-americanum/

Yes... I’d say canid, most likely Dire Wolf. Nice find! Here’s one had that is similar too, it’s a dire wolf M1, I believe.

CE0D0CC0-D6BF-4DDF-9C3A-67D6717DE104.jpeg

C490DF3A-FB35-4F76-83B2-AAAC15C82DB5.jpeg