Dino Display frame

patrickhudson

Thought I’d share an example of the floating frames I use to display some of the teeth and claws that we find.  Also used to display shark teeth and arrowheads.  Pretty dang cheap and I like how they look.  
Online they are “floating frames” or coin display frames.  All kinds of sizes. 

F06D8171-ABDC-4AA2-B357-97018E29E8DF.jpeg

6B196616-F4B2-4FD1-AEAF-0A9B471FAFEF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 12

Pretty cool displays.  I also use those floating frames on some specimens and like that you can see both sides without handling it.   They also give a nice presentation.  Thanks for sharing.

+1 for these, they're particularly good for teeth.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the quality of the commonly available ones though, they look and feel a little flimsy. It would be nice to find a source that makes sturdier ones.

2 hours ago, Norki said:

I'm a little underwhelmed by the quality of the commonly available ones though, they look and feel a little flimsy. It would be nice to find a source that makes sturdier ones.

The long one is actually pretty good quality - compared to the others.  It’s got a different mechanism to close as well, which doesn’t make it feel like it’s going to spring open and trash your stuff.  The square ones definitely leave some quality to be desired :) 
it’s like 5X the price - but still not bad seeing as you could be storing thousands of dollars worth of stuff in it 

Edited by JohnJ
Removed prohibited ad image
  • I found this Informative 1

46 minutes ago, Norki said:

I've had a "hit and miss" relationship with the 2x2 -4x4 holders.  Half of them got very cloudy after a few months.  Don't know if it's because I purchased them from different sellers.

I use these boxes sparingly too. I find it's best to display them in a cabinet to prevent dust from settling on them

Another name occasionally used for them is: membrane box

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I've been using them for years and have had no problems and have seen no degradation in getting cloudy .  The best applications are those where you do not have to open them frequently and when you want to keep them dust free.   I like them

Well, like I said it must be a "hit and miss" because three of the nine holders are already cloudy.  And I'm not sure of what brands they are because (since they were all the same size) I mixed them up when putting them in my cabinet.  Either way, I still have three that are cloudy. 

44 minutes ago, PetrosTrilobite said:

Very nice! From what theropod species are the teeth on the first photo? Also, the fossil on the white is a claw and we see and a reptile jaw section?

JRF tyrannosaur teeth and an oviraptor claw (I think).  @Troodon  @jpc and a few others pretty much tell me what I find because I’m still a dinosaur moron.  Grateful for all the help this forum gives me - and I’m moving slowly learning more about what we find - what it is and sometimes sadly what it isn’t ;) 

I haven’t found any clouding on my displays yet.  I bought several different kinds to try them all out - and haven’t been disappointed yet.  I just haven’t found any other safe displays that look somewhat quality.  I’m not a fan of frames with cotton backing - so if anyone else has other ideas for teeth or smaller bones I’d love to hear it. 
I love the metal fork looking stands for larger bones, but don’t have the skills to make them 

On 18/11/2020 at 11:21 PM, patrickhudson said:

Thought I’d share an example of the floating frames I use to display some of the teeth and claws that we find.  Also used to display shark teeth and arrowheads.  Pretty dang cheap and I like how they look.  
Online they are “floating frames” or coin display frames.  All kinds of sizes. 

F06D8171-ABDC-4AA2-B357-97018E29E8DF.jpeg

6B196616-F4B2-4FD1-AEAF-0A9B471FAFEF.jpeg

Super collection