A pair of Two Medicine Formation teeth

FF7_Yuffie

Hello,

Been offered this pair of teeth from Two Medicine--they are labelled as Albertosaurus juvenile, but, unless I'm mistaken, Alberto isn't from there?

Could they be juvie Daspleto/Gorgosaurus, or are they raptor teeth? I am guessing it would be difficult with these to narrow it down beyond Tyrannosaur or raptor.

I've got a pic of the bases if that helps. 

They are very small --- black one is 8mm, white one is 1cm.

Black one is I think a premax tooth.

One pic shows 3 teeth--but it's the middle black and the white one on the right that I am interested in and requested extra photos of.

Thanks for any help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Well you first need to get the provenance correct to determine if they are Albertosaurus or indeterminate tyrannosaurids/theropod.   Two Medicine Fm is in Montana but your label says Alberta Canada so where its from is most important.  We need a specific locality (Town or County/State if USA or Town if Canada) to determine what it is.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Well you first need to get the provenance correct to determine if they are Albertosaurus or indeterminate tyrannosaurids/theropod.   Two Medicine Fm is in Montana but your label says Alberta Canada so where its from is most important.  We need a specific locality (Town or County/State if USA or Town if Canada) to determine what it is.

Is Two Medicine not in Alberta at all? The wiki page for the formation says it is. Is the page wrong? Or is it there but not exposed?

2 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Is Two Medicine not in Alberta at all? The wiki page for the formation says it is. Is the page wrong? Or is it there but not exposed?

Just because a tooth is said to be from Alberta does not mean that it is from Two Medicine Formation.  You need to have better location info than that.  You have Horseshoe Canyon, Dinosaur Park, Foremost, the Bearpaw, Oldman, etc., etc.

• I found this Informative 2

17 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Just because a tooth is said to be from Alberta does not mean that it is from Two Medicine Formation.  You need to have better location info than that.  You have Horseshoe Canyon, Dinosaur Park, Foremost, the Bearpaw, Oldman, etc., etc.

I'll see if seller has a town or district, then. 

11 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

I'll see if seller has a town or district, then. 

Yep I would recommend checking before buying!:dinothumb:

Here are the location of the cretaceous formations in alberta however my guess is that these teeth are from Montana 

Basin_WapitiFormation.png.7cc8ea95b97b946eb22b055edcf5e06f.png

Didnt realise so many formations in one area, and so sort of jumbled together with some apearing in the middle of others.

So, with Two Medicine not showing on the map, the wiki page saying that Two Medicine is in Alberta is wrong?

Thanks for the info. I'll update if sellers knows a town or county.

So, if these are Montana, that rules out Albertosaurus?

15 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

So, with Two Medicine not showing on the map, the wiki page saying that Two Medicine is in Alberta is wrong?

I would be more inclined to trust a research article than a wiki page.

15 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

So, if these are Montana, that rules out Albertosaurus?

If they are from Montana, they cannot be Albertosaurus.  Albertosaurus is from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation which is located in and around Drumheller, Alberta.  Once you get more specific info, we can try to narrow down possibilities.

Still waiting to hear back.

Thanks for the info.

If they're from Two Medicine Montana, would the differrnce in color mean they are from different bits---one from upper Campanian section and one from larger middle section? Or could teeth different color come from same section?

Unfortunately you cannot draw any conclusions from the color of the teeth.  They could have been found in the same general area.   Most of the areas you're just surface collecting looking for teeth that are exposed

Seller got back to me. Unfortunately the supplier didnt give a county or more specific location.

So, I'm guessing id cant be narrowed down further than undetermined juvenile tyrannosaurid?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 12:14 PM, FF7_Yuffie said:

Hello,

Been offered this pair of teeth from Two Medicine--they are labelled as Albertosaurus juvenile, but, unless I'm mistaken, Alberto isn't from there?

Could they be juvie Daspleto/Gorgosaurus, or are they raptor teeth? I am guessing it would be difficult with these to narrow it down beyond Tyrannosaur or raptor.

I've got a pic of the bases if that helps. 

They are very small --- black one is 8mm, white one is 1cm.

Black one is I think a premax tooth.

One pic shows 3 teeth--but it's the middle black and the white one on the right that I am interested in and requested extra photos of.

Thanks for any help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Just came across this and I know it’s already been discussed but I just want to share my point of view on this.  First of Albertosaurus lancenisis or Nanotyrannus isn’t known from these deposits it’s to old, second the Two Medicine Formation is known from Alberta around Devil’s Coulee but you can’t tell if it’s from Alberta or Montana so that doesn’t help, and third if it is Two Medicine Formation the age that was given to you is wrong as 70 million years is to young to be Two Medicine Formation.  So like Troodon said it’s indeterminate unless proper locality can be given. 

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, dinosaur man said:

Just came across this and I know it’s already been discussed but I just want to share my point of view on this.  First of Albertosaurus lancenisis or Nanotyrannus isn’t known from these deposits it’s to old, second the Two Medicine Formation is known from Alberta around Devil’s Coulee but you can’t tell if it’s from Alberta or Montana so that doesn’t help, and third if it is Two Medicine Formation the age that was given to you is wrong as 70 million years is to young to be Two Medicine Formation.  So like Troodon said it’s indeterminate unless proper locality can be given. 

Very good points :)