Anyone recognize this tooth?

ajgus

Hey all! Came across this little guy. Curious if anyone can tell me what it is? Its small, about 1.5cm in length, and slightly curved.  It has two serrated edges, although they aren't on opposite sides - more like they are on one side of the curved edge (?). Hope someone can shed some light, Thanks!

33FFB5C1-CBE6-47AD-B379-71649FB281C6.JPG

5 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Any idea on formation and location of tooth?

Not 100% certain. North America, most likely. Many of the specimens I've been combing through lately have come to us from Hell Creek, so that is my best guess.

Unfortunately I doubt you could get much of an ID without location info and the formation name.  It is definitely a Tyrannosaur tooth, but from which species I cannot tell you.  Nice tooth though!

• I found this Informative 1

Nice tooth.  Given its bulkiness and robust denticles I would agree its Tyrannosaurid if it comes from North America.  The location/shape of the two carina is dependent on if its PM1 or toward  PM4

• I found this Informative 1

Interesting premax tooth, very nice serrations. I agree with the comments left before me, definitely a Tyrannosaurid premax, location would determine what genus it could be.

This tooth is actually left dentary tooth position one. 

So D1 left dentary. Tyrannosauridae, if no specific locality. 

It has a premaxillary look about it. But D1 is easily distinguished from premaxillary teeth in that that their cross section through the middle of the crown is more ovoid or fat rounded “D” (more bulbous as you were) whereas, in premaxillary teeth, a cross section cut though the middle of the tooth crown is a much more defined “D” shape. This even applies to the outside premaxillary teeth. This is the same trait found throughout all the late Cretaceous tyrannosaurs. 

I’ve read on here before that the first Dentary tooth is indistinguishable from premaxillary teeth. That Peter Larson has stated this. In this, Pete is just incorrect or has misspoken. I know him personally, so I’ll attribute it to likely just having misspoken. 

Through personal observation of many of the different late Cretaceous Tyrannosaur specimens, whether skull or dentary, when the first dentary tooth is present, it has always been distinctly different. Similar, but overall different. I've discussed this with Currie, Carr, Carpenter, and others, with expertise in tyrannosaurs. As well as our dinosaur paleontologists here at DMNS. They’ve all said the same thing I’m saying.

I can even see this in my Stan Dentary cast at home. 

Just my two cents. 

• I found this Informative 3

11 hours ago, hxmendoza said:

It has a premaxillary look about it. But D1 is easily distinguished from premaxillary teeth in that that their cross section through the middle of the crown is more ovoid or fat rounded “D” (more bulbous as you were) whereas, in premaxillary teeth, a cross section cut though the middle of the tooth crown is a much more defined “D” shape. This even applies to the outside premaxillary teeth. This is the same trait found throughout all the late Cretaceous tyrannosaurs. 

I’ve read on here before that the first Dentary tooth is indistinguishable from premaxillary teeth. That Peter Larson has stated this. In this, Pete is just incorrect or has misspoken. I know him personally, so I’ll attribute it to likely just having misspoken. 

Through personal observation of many of the different late Cretaceous Tyrannosaur specimens, whether skull or dentary, when the first dentary tooth is present, it has always been distinctly different. Similar, but overall different. I've discussed this with Currie, Carr, Carpenter, and others, with expertise in tyrannosaurs. As well as our dinosaur paleontologists here at DMNS. They’ve all said the same thing I’m saying.

Just my two cents. 

This is wonderful info. Thank you!

11 hours ago, hxmendoza said:

Just my two cents. 

Do you believe this to belong to a juvenile or just maybe a smaller Tyrannosaur species? is there any way to distinguish the two?

Since the locality isn’t known, all I’ll say is that it is likely from a Juvenile or subadult.Though I tend to lean more towards something in between those two.