Middle Devonian trilobite ID

ScottBlooded

Found in the needmore formation just outside Winchester, VA puts him at mid Devonian. Only his pygidium visible but the rest of him (presumably) is still in the rock that contains the cast. The third photo here is the cast, taken at a slight sideways angle to get an idea of how it broke off from the rest of the rock. Hard to tell in the photos but the segments have alternating gold coloration, along with small spine nubs on the tops of the colored segments. I know it’s hard to determine from just his butt. Figure the order is Odontopleurida, closest match I could find was acidaspis calicera, but I couldn’t find a lot of good examples. Another thing, (and I know that this technically goes under the fossil prep board but, you know, while I have your attention) any tips on how to most carefully prep out the rest of him? It’s a fairly fragile shale material and he’s one of the trilos that preserves in a way that almost makes him seem made of the same material as the matrix, so extra delicate.

9D932754-A647-438C-9689-817ABCFB6BC9.jpeg

41F63C23-68E2-4B2B-84A4-466915EF8C4A.jpeg

E9F59481-BF63-46B2-BDCC-7D0B85DDD72E.jpeg

1 minute ago, connorp said:

Very nice bug! Looks like there is definitely more there. Might be worth sending off to a professional.

Never done that before, any suggestions?

I agree, getting a professional prep job would be ideal. 

Just now, ScottBlooded said:

Never done that before, any suggestions?

We have a few talented folks here on the forum. If you make a request under fossil preparation there's a good chance someone would be able to help. :)

1 minute ago, Huntonia said:

I agree, getting a professional prep job would be ideal. 

We have a few talented folks here on the forum. If you make a request under fossil preparation there's a good chance someone would be able to help. :)

Thank you

Just as a minor correction, Acidaspis callicera is now known as Kettneraspis callicera. Beyond that, your ID is spot on. A very nice find!

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Just as a minor correction, Acidaspis callicera is now known as Kettneraspis callicera. Beyond that, your ID is spot on. A very nice find!

Hah, thank you that actually makes me feel really good to know I landed in the right place. I’m currently trying to self educate on trilobites (specifically mid/early Devonian), could you recommend any good resources? Obviously trilobite.info is great for internet resources but I’ve been looking for books to read on the matter

7 minutes ago, ScottBlooded said:

I’ve been looking for books to read on the matter

Trilobites by Riccardo Levi-Setti

Trilobites: Common Trilobites of North America by Jasper Burns

Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution by Richard Fortey

These might be a good start.  Let the trilo experts give you more knowledgeable guidance.  They'll be coming along.

• I found this Informative 2

By virtue of my institutional affiliation, I get all the recent goodies (and some others from some very generous trilo workers!). You would do well with the book Trilobites of New York, which has many of the similar species in your area. There are more pinpoint resources that I’ll invite @piranha to suggest for the Needmore. :) 

Oh, and for more general information, grandpa's recommendations above are very good, and I would add Treatise O to that list.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer