Found in fl yard

Missemsrn

Was told at a museum that this is petrified coral. Wanted confirmation. Person at museum said it looks like someone just decided to bury their collection in my yard. I live in panama city florida maybe 50 yards from salt water. 

202011213291463599054113215.jpg

202011218215177253004634891.jpg

I found this in my yard took it a museum and the guy said it was petrified coral. Just wanted confirmation and a good place to have it authenticated to sale.i live in Panama city, fl maybe 50 yards from salt water. I have better pics.

202011213291463599054113215.jpg

202011218215177253004634891.jpg

It is a very thing bad to put a clickable email on a forum. All spam bots will recover it and you will be flooded with unwanted messages. 

Coco
  • I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Don’t post the same thing twice on the forum ! Only one place is enough, the connoisseurs will come but you have to give them time.

Your 1st pic looks like coral but a close up would be useful.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

That person from the museum is probably correct.  Siderastrea coral, very common in the Plio-Pleistocene quarries of South Florida, unknow from the panhandle.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

7 hours ago, Missemsrn said:

I found this in my yard took it a museum and the guy said it was petrified coral. Just wanted confirmation and a good place to have it authenticated to sale.i live in Panama city, fl maybe 50 yards from salt water. I have better pics.

It is coral.  See those little "starbursts" in the photo below. It seems to have formed on the outside of a broken seashell. Possibly @MikeR would be able to identify the coral or the seashell.

TFFcoral.JPG.b62467c0fd17a0227066bf6d9f8dcc1e.JPG

Here is a TFF thread that provides a lot of information on Florida courtesy of Mike. I would caution you that the monetary value is likely very small based on the prevalence of coral fossils in Florida.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

TOPICS MERGED. One is plenty. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

3 hours ago, Missemsrn said:

I didnt mean to post 2x. I thought the first post didnt go through. I apologize.

No need,  we all have been thru learning the unique aspects of our tools,  and we have friendly  gremlins , who come along and cleanup any missteps... I wish I had them at home.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Great thank you so much. I was actually looking for fulgrite when I found this lol. I have no idea what I'm doing. Freshly new to all this.

Definitely a species of Siderastrea coral found reasonably plentiful in northern Florida and southern Georgia. If you do a search for the term 'withlacoochee' or 'silicified coral' on this forum you'll likely turn up some images of the beautiful silicified and agatized corals from around the Valdosta, GA area. I spoke to someone at the FLMNH invertebrate paleontology department some years back and got a tentative ID on the species that is abundant in the area where you found your item. It was identified as Siderastrea silicensis.

Here's a good link on the geology of Florida:

https://www.cengage.com/custom/regional_geology.bak/data/Hine_1426628390_LowRes.pdf

On page 5 there is Figure 3 which shows where the Georgia Channel Seaway Complex was that cut-off the Florida peninsula from the mainland. This channel moved a lot of silica sand (washed out through the Mississippi River into the Gulf of Mexico) and transported up the eastern seaboard. This accounts for the very sandy soils in northern Florida and Georgia and is what gives the nice silicified preservation of these corals. I had more information on them once but would have to look up more than what I can (hopefully) remember off the top of my head.

It's a lovely fossil. Welcome to the forum.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4

Welcome to the forum from Austin, Tx.  That is a beautiful coral.

No need to apologize for "mistakes" made while learning the new software and system.  We're happy to have you on the forum.

5 hours ago, Missemsrn said:

Also I would like to display it like art, any suggestions on how to do this without breaking it?

Decades back, my wife collected corals by purchasing rather than finding. She focused on natural colors.  So 10 years ago, on an anniversary,  I purchased an orange coral and put it in a picture frame. It is still unbroken. 

Over the last 15 years,  while searching for fish and mammal fossils, I have found areas that had corals. I kept the little ones in a bowl on the coffee table. I always like to "handle" the fossil and recall my feelings when finding it.  A couple chipped but most have stayed intact.

Sort of depends on what you prefer.