Skull of mosasaur

Hello everyone, 

i saw this on a auction site. Looks really impressive and legit. But I have some doubts if the work that has been done there is good or not. Do you want think teeth or anything elsewhere are fixed with composite ? 
if anything seemed weird to you, I’ll be happy to know :) 

thanks in advance 

150A014C-C475-4218-AD87-AD83270130AD.jpeg

CFD45865-76F6-4B31-88AE-2A3F364DF19F.jpeg

3F3E4B2A-688F-4D39-9111-E7A9D1F8F3AB.jpeg

Hard to tell from the pics but im going to say,,,, "lots of repair".    Looks like most or all of the teeth have been added?   Lets see what other folks have to say.

RB

The closeup photos aren't good enough to tell whether the teeth have been added or not. Overall the skull looks quite nice. But it looks like there is at least some repair on the teeth. The fact that some teeth are still missing is a good sign. That makes it more likely that it isn't a composite. On most composites they just fill in all of the tooth positions. Since some are missing, that suggests that these might just be the teeth that came with the skull.

The tooth morphology all looks in order. But there do seem to be some areas around the base of the crowns that looks either roughly prepped, repaired or composited.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

You really need additional photos of your skull from all sides and closeups of all the teeth to make an informed call on it   Comparing to other skulls does nothing to address your concerns especially when its a different species or may be composited 

• I found this Informative 2

the second skull platecarpus is fake. lot of anomaly in connections of "the plaster".

for the first skull different pictures but not the same animal, on each pictures the teeth are replaced (you see clearly the lack of connection), the connection between frontal and maxillary is faked, the jugal and the post orbito frontal are composited, no quadrate, no pterygoids, no basioccipital and supra occipital, no one of this skulls are genuine, its kind of artisanal composition .

• I found this Informative 5

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

10 hours ago, jnoun11 said:

the second skull platecarpus is fake. lot of anomaly in connections of "the plaster".

for the first skull different pictures but not the same animal, on each pictures the teeth are replaced (you see clearly the lack of connection), the connection between frontal and maxillary is faked, the jugal and the post orbito frontal are composited, no quadrate, no pterygoids, no basioccipital and supra occipital, no one of this skulls are genuine, its kind of artisanal composition .

Excellent observations!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi,

Where are you from ? Paris in France or Texas ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg