A great day in Big Brook (bucket list!)

butchndad

My 29th trip to Big Brook may well have been my best yet. Instead of my two usual entry points I entered by an unnamed tributary I found on a map. It was small and narrow and overgrown and clearly not the “road” most traveled.  Probably the least shark teeth I’ve ever found: photo of 5 below.   Picked up several broken bottle bottoms with writing which I get a kick out of including an unbroken Vicks Vaporub!  I found a bunch of bone most of which I probably deer but the dark wide one is likely not. Below is a photo of what I think is the first bear footprint I’ve ever seen there. Probably wrong but it had me looking around!  Photo of what Of what I thought were an Enchodus jaw and two teeth and a large crab claw but am waiting for help on the ID where I’m being told maybe something’s even better. Picked up a whole bunch of “maybes” which I need to take a closer look at. And finally I got to cross one off my BUCKETLIST!!!! My first arrowhead (have also been told it could be a knife but either way yeah). May well be my last trip for months because my feet despite 3 pairs of socks plus waders were still painfully cold. But if so it will have been a great way to close out my first year of fossil hunting and I am absolutely hooked. 

B7B4B4E4-9CA8-4A8A-9E96-F260BB985685.jpeg

5AF98CD3-D13A-4658-B172-78FCC0A4AEB4.jpeg

FC0C150E-618A-4D75-9D28-BDD4F2BB993A.jpeg

2C8470A8-704C-4647-B63C-68BCBAC11B09.jpeg

6A3C9861-6D5F-44B2-A969-B4B30DF204A3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Nice finds. The ratfish spine is especially great. The bones are modern.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

8 hours ago, Trevor said:

That ratfish spine is really good. Along with the arrowhead. Good job.

7 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Nice finds. The ratfish spine is especially great. The bones are modern.

Thank you both.  Do you think the piece of jaw and two teeth are Enchodus? and if not, what?  thanks again

Love the ratfish spine and the enchodus jaw with the two teeth. Those are both super finds. Congratulations. 

2 hours ago, butchndad said:

Thank you both.  Do you think the piece of jaw and two teeth are Enchodus? and if not, what?  thanks again

Yes, they are

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I agree with all IDs', with the jaw section being enchodus. I ALSO agree with the bear track ID as I saw a definitive one there a few years back. Nice trip!!