please help with identifying this large bone section

texasmatt

Hi , my name is Matt I am new to the forum and to finding / collecting. I was searching in a creek bed and found this bone on a sand bar tucked under some grass. To touch it is chalky / clammy feeling . It is slightly polished in one area . I can scrape into it somewhat easily with my fingernail, It has the consistency of damp chalk. Can someone please help me identifying this ? thank you very much for your help, i will attach some photos including what i think is a petrified tadpole found when cracking open a segment of sedimentary rock.

IMG_1158 (1).JPG

IMG_1159 (1).JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

IMG_1155 (1).JPG

IMG_1154 (1).JPG

IMG_1153 (1).JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1157 (1).JPG

IMG_1156 (1).JPG

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

You have got some nice things there!

Especially the echinoid (sea urchin) and is there a tooth in the mix?

Your bone is probably modern.

Btw, Texas is an incredible big stretch of land, bigger than whole Europe. Would you like to specify your location somewhat (county, nearest big town), so that local Texan members can pin down formation and age of your fossils, thereby increasing the chance of proper identification of your items.

Franz Bernhard 

• I found this Informative 1

17 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

You have got some nice things there!

Especially the echinoid (sea urchin) and is there a tooth in the mix?

Your bone is probably modern.

Btw, Texas is an incredible big stretch of land, bigger than whole Europe. Would you like to specify your location somewhat (county, nearest big town), so that local Texan members can pin down formation and age of your fossils, thereby increasing the chance of proper identification of your items.

Franz Bernhard 

Welcome, Matt!  These don't look like the fossils typical in my area of Texas (southeast Brazos River).  Like Franz said, it will help if you narrow down your region.  Those look like really neat finds!

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum! :trex:

I agree, the bone looks modern. You also have an echinoid which is the sand dollar-looking thing in the 3rd picture. You haven't found a tadpole, but rather a shark tooth (pics 8,9)! I think it may be Leptostyrax, very cool piece still stuck in the rock. This would mean it's Cretaceous in age (depending on where, 80-90 ish million years old), so I'm guessing you found it in central/north central Texas? 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I thank everyone for the help. I am in Denton Texas . North Texas from what i read has a ton of sea fossils from being under water . There are so many creeks around me . My grandmother was a renowned Indian artifact collector from oklahoma. the older that i get ...the more i am drawn to go on the hunt . This part of texas has been known for having artifacts from the clovis. The creek beds have a mixture of native american relics mixed among a million fossil specimens. I also thought the bone might be modern in a state of decay. However it is larger than any species that i know of. Maybe its a big old cow bone . The diameter seems too large though. Thank you again . I will enjoy being a member of the forum !

Hello Matt and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, tx.  You are indeed in a great place to find some great Cretaceous material. 

55 minutes ago, texasmatt said:

the older that i get ...the more i am drawn to go on the hunt .

You might consider joining the Dallas Paleo Society if you are not already a member.  They schedule regular field trips - in normal times - and have a very knowledgeable membership.  That combined with TFF will get you up the learning curve fast.