Hunting at McFadden Beach

Ronnie H.

I have hunted McFadden Beach many times. It's located on the Texas coast near the small town of High Island.

Most of the it's easy collecting bones, teeth and if very lucky, even a paleo dart point. I can't put names to many 

of even the bones we find on the beach but my question isn't about the obvious bones, but about many of "something"

we have found that has turned into what I believe is iron. Please get your opinions. Were these some kind of animal or

plant or just funny looking rocks? First picture is what I'm asking your opinions about. Seems to me they turned into a form of iron. Have people hunting McFadden found anything like this? Then for the group, are this fossils and what are they?

The second picture is the fossils most people find that hunt McFadden.

Thanks everyone for your time.

103_0005.JPG---9.JPG

103_0007.JPG----9.JPG

Hi Ronnie, a warm welcome to the forum! Thank you for your patience. 

I really don't know what those are in the first picture, I've found some similar things on Galveston. I've assumed they were geological, or maybe anthroprogenic? These don't look like fossils to me. Why do you think they're iron? 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

22 minutes ago, Ronnie H. said:

It surprises me that no one on this site has replied to the above post and questions.

OH WELL....

Patience and politeness go a long way when asking for help....  

That said, sometimes you find burrow casts that have been rolled by the currents and surf.  Also, the underlying Beaumont Formation also produces concretion of calcium carbonate, iron oxide, and iron-manganese oxide that the surf can make into weird shapes.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

27 minutes ago, Ronnie H. said:

It surprises me that no one on this site has replied to the above post and questions.

OH WELL....

Ronnie, 

Please keep a few things in mind.  The nature of Forums is that not every member visits every day.

We all have lives outside of the Forum, and things are busy these days. 

For real mystery items, ... it may take a few weeks to get good ID's. ;) 

I know we all answer what WE consider easy or common ones fairly quickly.

However, ... sometimes it does take some time, ... days or even weeks, (and patience)  to get a solid ID. 

It is rare, but I have seen ID requests  get answered a year or two down the line, when someone with the correct skill set joins.

It happens. 

:) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me