Exploring within drive of OKC Thanksgiving Week

gdsfossil

From MD, visiting OKC for another week.  Had a great day at Lake Texoma last weekend and looking to spend a few more days around Thanksgiving hunting with a local or with local wisdom.  Could us a little help getting a little more off the beaten path where less broken fossils are more likely.  I guess you'd call me an experienced newbie.  Elementary science teacher by day, love to hunt fossils by the days I'm not teaching.  Would love to find some more ammonites, do a nice trilobite hunt, or whatever is within a "reasonable" drive for a day or two trip.  Any favorite spots or formations with close to spots you'd be willing to share would be grateful.  If you want to join and feel like you are budding movie star, I'd be happy to include you in the next video lesson about the Earth and Fossils, targeted towards 4-10 year olds.  If you'd prefer just to pm, I would be grateful for that, too!  pm please.

Darn.  I wish I had seen this sooner.  I am relative newbie to Oklahoma (and newly returned to fossil hunting after decades away from it), but I am slowly but surely staking out some nice, accessible hunting grounds within a 2-hour radius of OKC.  If you are still in the area, I can point you toward some places where I’ve had good luck in the very recent past, and where you might even find a genuine Oklahoma trilobite.  Let me know.  

If not this time, let me know the next time life brings you to these parts.  I am lifelong east coaster so you wouldn’t even have to worry about having to decipher my southern plains accent (though even for some east coasters, my hybrid Philadelphia/South Jersey accent can be a challenge.  Lol).   

• 4 months later...

Hi Big Ken. Thank you.  I'm just seeing this.  I'm coming back around in August. Ammonites and few other nontrilobite inverts were what we found in November.  Would love to do some trilobite hunting late summer.  Also would like to find some echinoderms.  My accent is NJ/Boston combo.

I’ve yet to find a large, complete trilobite but it is at the top of my bucket list.  I have a couple spots where i regularly find small trilobites and/or partial larger ones so I know it is only a matter of time before a nice specimen pops up.  I can definitely share those locations with you and, by August, I will hopefully have scouted out a few more locations that, based on research and Google Earth, look like winners.  These are all under 2 hours from OKC so they can definitely be collected on a day trip.