Unknown vertebra from New Mexico

PrehistoricWonders

Hi all,

I'm considering buying this vertebra, but I want too know what age it is & how old it is. 
it was Quay, New Mexico, and is supposed too be a fossil.

Unfortunately there aren’t anymore pics or a size, but too me it almost looks like Zarafasaura, but I don’t know if that species is found in New Mexico, or even the US. TIA

7093FAE4-342B-41BB-89CB-90F95336202E.jpeg

2C353827-EFF2-4FC1-B798-DF0462D0FE26.jpeg

F904E137-DF9B-42E9-9DBA-DBA3C0C537E3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Unknown vertebra from New Mexico

Hi,

Zafarasaurus is an african species.

I can not tell you if your vertebra is a plesiosaur at all, but if it is, you may have a look at the entry "list of plesiosaur genera" on wikipedia, there you find geographic regions for many species in a list.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Material around Quay County, NM is typically associated with late Triassic deposits of the Bull Canyon Formation.  Why would you consider buying something you have little information on its provenance.    Anything we say is guess-work. 

Processes look odd no detail dont look like bone.

The photos are a little blurry and the lighting isn't the best. Some better photos as well as closeup might help. The surface of the specimen looks a little weird. But from the photos it's not possible to judge whether it's just odd preservation or if it's been altered.

And as Mahnmut said, Zarafasaura is African. But the spelling is Zarafasaura, not Zarafasaurus.

If it's not altered it might be a really nice complete vertebra. It kinda resembles an Aetosaur dorsal vertebra.

Mid-trunk-vertebrae-of-Calyptosuchus-wellesi-Mid-trunk-vertebrae-of-Calyptosuchus.png.c2bd4e2cb8ef1bee8916d931597c788c.png

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

If its from Quay County, there's about a 95% chance its a phytosaur or aetosaur.  That said, it looks much more like aetosaur to me.

4 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi,

Zafarasaurus is an african species.

I can not tell you if your vertebra is a plesiosaur at all, but if it is, you may have a look at the entry "list of plesiosaur genera" on wikipedia, there you find geographic regions for many species in a list.

Best Regards,

J

That’s what I thought, thank you for clarifying!

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Material around Quay County, NM is typically associated with late Triassic deposits of the Bull Canyon Formation.  Why would you consider buying something you have little information on its provenance.    Anything we say is guess-work.  Processes look odd no detail dont look like bone.

I’m fine without knowing the exact spot where it was found, and I know it was found in Quay, so I was fine with that.
the bone detail was giving me doubts, I doubt it was carved, but I don’t see any bone texture. It’s weird.

3 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

The photos are a little blurry and the lighting isn't the best. Some better photos as well as closeup might help. The surface of the specimen looks a little weird. But from the photos it's not possible to judge whether it's just odd preservation or if it's been altered.

And as Mahnmut said, Zarafasaura is African. But the spelling is Zarafasaura, not Zarafasaurus.

If it's not altered it might be a really nice complete vertebra. It kinda resembles an Aetosaur dorsal vertebra.

Mid-trunk-vertebrae-of-Calyptosuchus-wellesi-Mid-trunk-vertebrae-of-Calyptosuchus.png.c2bd4e2cb8ef1bee8916d931597c788c.png

yeah... unfortunately, those were the only two pictures. The surface does look odd, but doesn’t look carved, too me.

Fixed the spelling, thank you!

really hope it is, that would be nice!

12 minutes ago, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

If its from Quay County, there's about a 95% chance its a phytosaur or aetosaur.  That said, it looks much more like aetosaur to me.

Thank you! Really hope it’s authentic!

9 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Sorry Ma`am, I mistook you for your husband.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

This looks more than odd... it looks like a carving.  Ask the seller for better photos.  Clear views of, for example, the neural spine.  The texture just looks too unbonelike.