Millard County surprise!

LabRatKing

I have as organizing and pre-prepping samples today with the intention of having a very paleo preparation holiday.

If you a familiar with the storied Millard County rock hound book, it mentions a site between the Amphitheater and The Pass that is good for red slate dendrites. 

With a bit of research and a lucky wrong turn, I found the site. If I had gone left I would have ended up at a dead end on a very high cliff...

Anyway, here’s the dendrites:

418209D4-6F05-44A6-9DC1-453B5E65206F.jpeg

4247D74E-A525-4829-9015-AC94A91BE6B6.jpeg

What I didn’t notice until tonight:

A surprise pyggie!

1E3F3D7E-0D1B-4B86-81BC-AC5AA2F0A225.jpeg

B93DD9BE-A1E0-49DC-86C9-E40A5D31A868.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

That first piece is real nice. Love the color. What is the size?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The dendrite plate is about 200mm long. Should note that that is a pseudo fossil, hence my the trilobite pyg was a surprise 

On 11/24/2020 at 4:50 PM, LabRatKing said:

storied Millard County rock hound book

Surprise trilobites are never a bad thing :)

so, is this a good or bad "storied" book? Really want to get back down there and try and and some new trilobites to my collection. So something with more site info could be useful. 

2 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Surprise trilobites are never a bad thing :)

so, is this a good or bad "storied" book? Really want to get back down there and try and and some new trilobites to my collection. So something with more site info could be useful. 

It is pretty much the bible for millard county. You may find used paperbacks around, but it is out of print. It is available through google books for a few bucks too.

https://books.google.com/books/about/A_Collector_s_Guide_to_Rock_Mineral_Foss.html?id=t-XvE8DTiW0C

There are more detailed scientific publications, but this one is good for laypeople. Is more than just fossils too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 1:33 PM, LabRatKing said:

It is pretty much the bible for millard county. You may find used paperbacks around, but it is out of print. It is available through google books for a few bucks too.

https://books.google.com/books/about/A_Collector_s_Guide_to_Rock_Mineral_Foss.html?id=t-XvE8DTiW0C

There are more detailed scientific publications, but this one is good for laypeople. Is more than just fossils too.

Yep, actually already have this book :star:

That's a "stealth pyggie"! It took me a while. A long while.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Those bugs are  tuff to find in the red beds.  And that is quite the dendrite.  I dont remember finding dendrites in the red beds, but maybe I just tossed them?

RB

The 2nd plate is like Modern Art 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

On 12/8/2020 at 8:07 AM, RJB said:

Those bugs are  tuff to find in the red beds.  And that is quite the dendrite.  I dont remember finding dendrites in the red beds, but maybe I just tossed them?

RB

This bed is actually a road cut on Death Canyon Road. There were signs that many folks had been there for the dendrites. I saw zero indication of other fossils. In fact it took 18 months for me to notice this one.