Fish (?) Vertebrae from Central Africa

Jame Stuart

Hello TFF members,

My grandparents run an NPO and frequently travel to developing countries. A couple of years ago they went to some country in Africa and brought back a bunch of miscellaneous bones. They gave me 3 pieces from a basket of a bunch of pieces, but I didn't really care for them because I thought they were modern bones. I've recently realized that these pieces are, without a doubt, fossilized and would love to be able to ID them to see what they are.

Unfortunately, I do not know the specific country/location where these pieces were found. My best guess, based on their past travels, would be somewhere in Central Africa, most likely Kenya. They said they found these in an open desert, and they were just lying around all over the place. They tend to go to very remote villages to do their work so I doubt even a specific location could yield much information. I understand giving an ID without knowing the geology of the surrounding area is hard, but just a vague guess on what kind of animal it was would be greatly appreciated.

I am 90% sure they are fossils, as I've collected marine fossils before and they give the same clinking sound, feel solid, and are pretty heavy. My uneducated best guess is some kind of fish vertebrae. Does anyone have any additional insight into what these fossils belonged to?

I've used a MetroCard as a scale because I don't have a ruler or a US coin on me. It's pretty much the same size as a credit card. 

IMG_0074.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

fish vertebrae, yes.  But I think Kenya is considered east Africa... just saying.    

(It is a pet peeve of mine that westerners so often refer to Africa as one country.  There are 53 countries on that continent and they are all different.  I am not criticizing you personally; after all you were given very vague info.  Just a comment in general.)  

• I found this Informative 3

13 minutes ago, jpc said:

fish vertebrae, yes.  But I think Kenya is considered east Africa... just saying.    

(It is a pet peeve of mine that westerners so often refer to Africa as one country.  There are 53 countries on that continent and they are all different.  I am not criticizing you personally; after all you were given very vague info.  Just a comment in general.)  

thanks for the correction you are right I just kind of assumed it was central Africa since its kinda in the middle vertically

Sorry, but fish vertebrae are not generally diagnostic to genus or species. :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, jpc said:

I agree strongly with all of this statement! Darth.gif.d71a4a714d81e0177b4ccb9be80bd1ef.gif

Except it might be 54 sovereign states now that Sudan has split in two. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I agree strongly with all of this statement! Darth.gif.d71a4a714d81e0177b4ccb9be80bd1ef.gif

Except it might be 54 sovereign states now that Sudan has split in two. 

I wasn't sure if it was 51 or 52 before South Sudan.  For real trivia buffs... try to not only name as many as you can, but throw in their capitals.